Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jigging with an Ice Fishing Rod?

I fish out of a kayak and I'm thinking a short ice fishing rod would be easy to handle in it and jigging would be best suited for that type of rod. I've got a couple of rod/reel setups and I hate seeing them just sitting around and not getting used.

Has anyone tried jigging in open water with an ice fishing rod? :unsure:

Bigcountry40

It works fine. Most just don’t have the same amount of backbone as a standard size rod (that’s what she said).
I watched one my boys land a 4 pound sheep head perch fishing by cedar point on a 30” dock demon, after that day I went out and bought 3 more zebco “dock demons”, work great and the small size is nice, I would think it would be easy to maneuver on a kayak

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Sounds like fun but remember that during jig season that lake is the the mid 40 degree range and if you flip it life jacket or not your not going to be around long.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Bigcountry40

Sounds like fun but remember that during jig season that lake is the the mid 40 degree range and if you flip it life jacket or not your not going to be around long.
Yeah I’m out in my 16.5’ and still very cautious, i see dudes out there in kayaks and 12’ John boats and it’s just not worth it.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
You'd be better served with a short UL. Ice rods are only short for fishing in shanties and ease of transport. Even hard-core ice guys up north fish with rods 36" and over. The backbone on longer rods help to keep the strain off of the typically super light lb test.