Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Makes a $4 Gun Priceless?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I worry about my old guns sometimes...

O sure, some will go to my kids and/or grandkids. But there are a few that are priceless in that I wonder if the younger generation will cherish the symbol of its existence? Its history? Will they understand that the scuffs and scratches on the stock are from hunting trips so long ago that no one is alive today to even tell how it happened?
That the light brown shade of what some may call rust is an ageing process that takes over a hundred years to etch its way into the metal? Some may be cherished simply because they knew I carried them afield and brought home deer or bunnies or birds. They will remember seeing me come in and hang it in the high gun rack to sweat before cleaning. But there are a few I worry about.

Stories like the one below always make me smile and give me hope.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Makes a $4 Gun Priceless?​

Story by Bill Heavey

ONE LOOK at the words outstanding bargain in an old Sears catalog, and I knew what had attracted Granddad all those years ago to the .22-Caliber Ranger Single Shot Rifle. The price was $3.79. Even by 1930s standards it was a deal, and there isn’t much that Heavey men like better. For 46 cents more you could get it with a hooded front sight and a rear peep, but Granddad wouldn’t even have been tempted by so reckless an expenditure. The rifle is an M34, made in the USA for Sears, reportedly by Marlin, although there’s no way to tell. And with no serial number, there’s no way to date the gun. It came with a pistol grip, a chrome-plated bolt handle, and a walnut finish. Back then, it was a first gun a boy would dream of.

Ninety years later, my father and grandfather are both long gone. So I cradle the rifle they handed down to me, run the bolt, and miss them. Granddad lived 78 years, Dad 87. Those numbers are of more than academic interest to me these days. Neither outlived the gun, and it’s already older than I am. If cared for, a rifle lasts for centuries.

I love this gun. It’s perfect in the way that canoes are perfect. Anything more would be superfluous. Anything less would be incomplete.

Granddad was probably a major or lieutenant colonel by 1935, posted in the Panama Canal Zone with the Corps of Engineers. My father, Bill Jr., and his younger brother, John, must have counted the days until the rifle arrived. They had a range in the basement of the family quarters, the targets backed by a sheet of heavy steel that Granddad had angled to send the bullets down into a sandbox. Dad collected the lead, heated it, and poured it into molds to make toy soldiers. Granny wouldn’t have liked shooting in the house, but she was already a veteran Army wife and picked her battles. She was a skilled rider and played polo with the men on the post. They probably weren’t stationed there long. Granddad was an officer on his way up. I know only the few things Dad told me about that time: As a Boy Scout, he was taught to look for snakes first on the ground, then in the trees, when he was walking through the woods. He once shot a fer-de-lance—a highly irritable serpent, still Panama’s deadliest—that had invaded his tree fort. Also, whether by proclivity or compulsion, my father ate so many bananas there that they were the one food he would not consume as an adult.

The Heaveys came over from Ireland during the potato famine and found work as cops, priests, and soldiers. A Depression youth, Dad was as cheap as Granddad and proud of it. The gene passed to me as surely as blood type. I remember once waking up to a new pair of orange jeans I’d bought at an outlet mall the evening before. They were hideous, purchased only because I was stoned out of my mind on thrift as I kept discovering cheaper and cheaper jeans that could be had if you didn’t mind fewer belt loops, a slightly lighter-weight fabric, or a less desirable color. Like orange. The girl I was seeing at the time threatened to dump me if I ever wore them. I didn’t.

As a boy, I had a standing Sunday appointment with the .22 at my grandparents’ apartment in D.C. We would stop by for brunch on our way home from a church service that lasted an ice age. Granddad was by then a retired brigadier, his medals framed on a piece of black felt: three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star, a pile of other medals and ribbons about which I had no clue. He’d take me aside and murmur, “My little .22’s waiting for you in my closet.” Then I’d lie on the Persian rug in my Sunday clothes, dry firing, methodically dispatching books and furniture legs. Ankles were off-limits.

My father wasn’t a hunter and, like his father, had seen too much combat to have any interest in recreational shooting. He gave the gun to me. I lived in D.C. at the time, so I loaned it to my best friend, whose family had a farm in Virginia. Once I asked him how the gun was faring. “It’s the most accurate gun we’ve got at the farm,” he told me. “We keep it in the bathroom.” He had dispatched quite a few groundhogs while sitting on the john. “It loves those little 40-grain CCI subsonics,” he said.

I’ve long worried about the gun’s fate after me, wondering if anybody would ever cherish it in the way it deserved. When Emma and her fiancé, Blake, visited from Texas in December, I showed him the rifle and told him it would be his one day. I remember watching as he disappeared into the gun. His whole being conformed and committed to it as he swung along the lines of the room. Blake is basically a cowboy and not the most talkative young man, but he was smiling when he handed it back. I nodded to him ever so slightly, the acknowledgment of one man to another, and zipped it back in its sleeve. That night, as Emma and I did the dishes, she leaned in and whispered, “No kidding. You just made his year.” I smiled. I had done my duty, acquitted myself honorably. The gun was safe for another generation.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
My dad turned 16 on March 1, 1931 and for his birthday he received a Sears Premier .22 single shot(same as a Mossberg “B”) from his dad, my grandpa. In May of that year his dad died. That cheap little .22 has accounted for untold amounts of game, pests, and livestock. Taught dad, my brothers and me, and many of my cousins how to shoot. The thing is beat from decades of being a farm tool. But there ain’t enough money in the world to buy it from me.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Great story and post Jim. A couple Christmases ago my dad gave me my grandfathers shotgun which was given to him by his grandfather. Browning A5 Light 20. For some reason iit has long been "THE" gun to have in the field in this part of the country.

The story goes that when my grandfather was still a young boy he would go with his brother, dad, and uncles to meet his grandfather every Sunday after church to hunt squirrels. My grandfather being the youngest always had the junky gun. Usually a 22. A humble kid who never complained was always happy, and despite missing squirrels, all the time due to him having the crappy gun never made excuses and always had fun. One Sunday they met to go squirrel hunting and his grandfather (my great great grandfather) surprised him with the shotgun as a gift. Everyone was floored because they've always been generationally poor. Suddenly my grandfather went from the boy who had the worst gun in the group for years to the envy of everyone. His dad (my great grandfather) later told him to cherish that gun for life as his dad had never given him anything that nice. When my grandfather passed my dad received the gun. I received it two years ago when I turned 40.

Buckmaster

Portage
Nice stories fellas. I have my grandfather’s 12 gauge Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight. The gun was manufactured in 1958. Grandpa was on this Earth 1912-1994. He only had one gun as this was his rabbit gun. It’s a safe queen now as I’ll probably never use it. Times have changed since the I’ve got a couple dozen guns to choose from.

walk2slow

Nice to read about old guns and their stories, I have my Dads guns and the stories that goes with them, Now Dad been gone since NOV.1989 he was born in May of 1913, and serve in WW2. his Grandpaw give him his first gun a single shot 12 gauge when he was 9 years old the name on it all wore off, when I was 6 years old he let me shoot it after I picked my self up he coulden help me he was laughing to hard, didnt shoot that gun for a long time after that it a wall hanger now, I bougth him a 410 in his later years he said the 12 was getting to be to much for him, his 22 was bought new with a box of 50 longs for $5.25 in 1934 it was a Remington model 34 that fed Mom and him through the depression, he said you couldn't haul the squirrels in a dump truck that he shot with it, it's the first rifle I learned to shoot, he had one pistol a High Standard 22. Them were the four guns he used, as everyone knows there more stories I could tell the same as you all. Hopefully my grandsons will cherish them as I do.