Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: CVA Optima/loads.

  1. #1

    CVA Optima/loads.

    Getting a new Optima for christmas. Figured some guys on here have one and curious what loads/powders work best for ya. I don't plan on shooting past 100 yards.

    Thanks in advance.
    There is a hunter in all of us. When you let it out your life will make more sense"

  2. #2
    *Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    28,191
    Blog Entries
    2
    If you don't plan to shoot past 100 yards, I'd go with 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets from Pyrodex and couple that with a 295 grain Powerbelt Aerotip bullet. I've been shooting this combo for 5-6 years now out of my old Optima and my Optima Elite. The 100 grains of pellets is pretty standard and what 90% of us shoot in our muzzys. I like the 295 grain bullet because of the knock down power it delivers and IMO, the Powerbelts are the best bullets on the market.
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

    Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

  3. #3
    Yeah I really didnt' see any point in going with 150 grains of powder. I shot 777 out of my old remington inline as well. Thanks for the advice.
    There is a hunter in all of us. When you let it out your life will make more sense"

  4. #4
    *Supporting member* Gern186's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Ohio Tundra
    Posts
    6,007
    Same here except I use a 245 grain powerbelt hollowpoint and it knocks the shit out of them.....and it shoots a little flatter than 295 grain. Either combo will work great. I have 2 different muzzleloaders, a CVA Kodiak pro and a T/C Triumph and shoot the same loads out of both.

  5. #5
    *Supporting member* Beentown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, OH
    Posts
    12,996
    The CVA I had didn't like Powerbelts. Hell, none of my muzzleloaders have liked the Powerbelts. Acceptible? Yes. Best of all available? No.

    In the Optima Elite I had it liked 100 grains of 777 pellets and the 250 grain T/C Shockwave Boolits. It REALLY liked 120 grains of powder (loose) and the 300 grain boolits from T/C
    Molōn labe!

    ,'';=====-
    !

  6. #6
    *Supporting member* Gern186's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Ohio Tundra
    Posts
    6,007
    CVA recommends powerbelts in their guns, or at least they did a few years ago??? I have an uncle that shoots T/C shockwaves out of his CVA and it does shoot good also.

  7. #7
    *Supporting member* Beentown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, OH
    Posts
    12,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Gern186 View Post
    CVA recommends powerbelts in their guns, or at least they did a few years ago??? I have an uncle that shoots T/C shockwaves out of his CVA and it does shoot good also.
    They recommend them because they make Powerbelts.
    Molōn labe!

    ,'';=====-
    !

  8. #8
    *Supporting member* jagermeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    10,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Beentown View Post
    The CVA I had didn't like Powerbelts. Hell, none of my muzzleloaders have liked the Powerbelts. Acceptible? Yes. Best of all available? No.

    In the Optima Elite I had it liked 100 grains of 777 pellets and the 250 grain T/C Shockwave Boolits. It REALLY liked 120 grains of powder (loose) and the 300 grain boolits from T/C
    My T/C doesn't really like the powerbelts either... 295 or 245. I mean, they'll kill deer out of it, but the groups are extremely inconsistent. I like the T/C shockwaves myself.

    If I remember correctly, I think I saw that Federal came out with some Barnes Expander muzzy rounds this year.... Love me them barnes expanders! Might have to give them a try.
    "Keep your mouth shut, and your ears open."

  9. #9
    Update on the new Optima. I shot it on Saturday.

    Slapped the Leupold 2-7 muzzy scope on it. Loaded with 100gr 777 pellets. Remington Klean bore primers and 250gr Hornady SSST Lock-n-Load Sabot.
    No bore sighting. Shot at 50 yards.

    1st shot - 6" low 2" left
    2nd shot - 4" low 2" left
    3rd shot - 2" low 1" left
    4 shot bullseye.

    My favorite part is I had it cleaned up in under 5 minutes. So far so good!
    There is a hunter in all of us. When you let it out your life will make more sense"

  10. #10
    Four shots and you are done? Hopefully you shot it a little more than just that. lol
    Hicks Lawn Services, LLC

    dba Hank Tucker Outdoors

  11. #11
    The stand I'm hunting only has a 40 yard max shot... I'll shoot it with different loads this summer.
    There is a hunter in all of us. When you let it out your life will make more sense"

  12. #12
    *Supporting member* 5Cent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,776
    Good to hear twireman. I have been very very pleased with my Optima, and used the same load Jesse mentioned. I've shot about 40rds out of it with the 295 PB's and it's dead nuts at 100, about 3.5" low at 150. I just realized that I picked up 270 PB's the last time out, back to the range....

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by twireman View Post
    Update on the new Optima. I shot it on Saturday.

    Slapped the Leupold 2-7 muzzy scope on it. Loaded with 100gr 777 pellets. Remington Klean bore primers and 250gr Hornady SSST Lock-n-Load Sabot.
    No bore sighting. Shot at 50 yards.

    1st shot - 6" low 2" left
    2nd shot - 4" low 2" left
    3rd shot - 2" low 1" left
    4 shot bullseye.

    My favorite part is I had it cleaned up in under 5 minutes. So far so good!
    Awesome man! Sounds like your ready to draw bubbly blood!
    Team #8

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •