Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's 2013-2014 Hunting Log

We all go through the highs and lows that you are experiencing. I chased ducks in Ohio for nearly thirty years with the goal to shoot a drake Pintail for my wall. Had a couple opportunities, but never made it happen. But, trying to do so made for some great memories.

Now my goal is the same as yours, a BBBC qualifier. And I, like you, want it for my satisfaction, not to impress someone else. That goal make be like the drake Pintail ended up, never met. But, once again I'm making great memories in this pursuit too.

I look at your season stats and don't see why you feel like your season was such a flop. You saw a ton more deer than I did. I get frustrated sometimes too, it is part of the game. If you want consistent action I'd say bowling would be a good choice. The ten pins are there everytime you get ready to roll the ball.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A little middle ground may be the option, Jesse. If you want to run your cams but not invest yourself so much, set them on trails. You may learn a bit more about deer movement, and it cost nothing in time or cash.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My season was not a flop based on the numbers. I don't even see it as a flop; it was generally a solid season based on two factors. One, it took the pressure of gun season and some inclement weather to hand me my first skunk on the 28th hunt of the season. Two, I strive to see one deer per hour on stand. That number comes from seeing a doe with fawn(s) on every hunt, the average of which is 2-3 hours. I hit that number this year, but only because I was very diligent on stand this year. I stood 90% of the time I was on stand and glassed 3 times more than I have in the past. Hunting harder while on stand saved me a few skunks this year, but sightings are consistently getting harder to come by.

I know what the feeling in my gut used to be like when I was in the heat of things. That feeling is gone. Hence this entire discussion. I simply don't love to bow hunt like I used to...

You're burned out. Invest your time elsewhere until you get burned out on that pursuit. I do it every year; I fish untill I'm tired of that, then I hunt till I'm tired of that, then its time to fish.... :). If I screwed around with cameras and food plots year 'round, I'd be sick of deer before November ever rolled around too. Been there, aint going back.

Yep, I agree with Brock. You've gone at it hard off and on for the last couple of years and frustration has set in!! I saw it coming when I saw you shooting squirrels out of your stands instead of sitting tight waiting for Captain Jack. Take a break, enjoy what other things are out there and who knows, you may find yourself in a tree before the end of the season.

You touched on another consideration of mine and that is doing away with the cameras and food plots. The amount of money I have spent on those two pursuits alone, combined with the corn costs for pics, in the last 5-6 years is staggering. I'd estimate that number to be north of $10K! Then consider that time. All resources that could be spent elsewhere.

The hard part of that is I love trail cameras! And I love to plant food plots. However neither have had a discernible direct impact on the quality of my hunting. In fact, the cameras have undoubtedly caused me more heartache than excitement and fulfillment. I'm searching for balance in my life right now and bow hunting has been a HUGE part of my life for the past decade, so it will take some work to figure out how to sway the scales one way or another, but maintain a healthy balance in my life.

I love trail cams too but I find myself frustrated at not being able to get on those deer like I thought we could. It's nice to know they are there but at the same time we've found that neighbors and others have been nosing around the property too much lately and I'm turning my focus on them instead. Starting to think that has been some of our problem this year along with the shitty deer numbers. So with the help of my buddy who's a police officer anyways, we are going to make sure people get a clear understanding that this crap won't be tolerated.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've actually not hunted the last few years like I did 2006-2009. I logged 200+ hours during those seasons. During the 2007--2008 season, I sat 250 hours with 50 of those being in January during brutal conditions. I was ate up with it then and had expectations that our farm would produce a giant at any moment. Those days and expectations are long gone.

Schu72

Streetsboro
What ever you decide, enjoy your time while you can. Wait until you have a couple of kids in school sports and after school activites. Knowing the kind of dad you are, you won't miss those moments for anything. If you think you are spread thin now, just wait. My last few years are a blur...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What ever you decide, enjoy your time while you can. Wait until you have a couple of kids in school sports and after school activites. Knowing the kind of dad you are, you won't miss those moments for anything. If you think you are spread thin now, just wait. My last few years are a blur...

I'm actually looking forward to this. In all honesty if my deer hunting is condensed to about where it was this year but the experiences are better, having a little less time afield won't bother me much. I'm looking forward to hunting with my kid(s). I doubt I spend much time alone if/when that happens. That has to be one of the greatest things ever!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
On a positive note I have been eyeballing 61 acres that is in two tracts for a couple of years. There is a farm about 3,500' as the crow flies from there on the opposite side of this block of ground. It has been dormant for years, but holds some tremendous bedding areas. I know the new owner and it is now being intensively managed. He added 8 acres of corn that is still standing, limed/fertilized his 50 acres of pasture and will be frost seeding clover there this winter. I got very good second hand information this afternoon that an absolute monster was seen there last night after dark drinking from the roadside ditch. My dad knows the landowner much better than I do and he will talk to him tonight, so he's going to see what he knows about the deer.

The 61 acres consists of 8-9 year second growth from a select cut, pines, and some mature oaks that produce nearly every year. Access is not the best, but I could make do with some work. I had plans of dropping off a couple cams over corn in the late season to see what was left. Think I might just do that now!

I have switched my focus from larger farms to smaller pieces of ground in what I deem "overlooked" areas. There is a decent amount of ground around here in smaller chunks that are adjacent to known big buck areas. This area is a hidden gem in terms of habitat, but I have no idea what the area holds deer wise. It is within 1 miles of one of the best big buck farms in my immediate area, within 3 miles of my best spot, and it's a 5 minute drive from my house. I could see me spending a little time there next year...

lung buster

hocking county

X2! I used to hit it pretty hard until the point that I was burnt out! Then my kids started showing an interest and they have helped relight the fire! I would rather hunt with them than anybody else. It won't be long and you will have your daughter out there. You may be down but I'm sure your not out! Good luck!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Take a little break buddy and recharge your passion! CJ will be hitting your plots very soon and you'll want to be there waiting on him! Good luck Jesse!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There is only about 10 seconds worth watching here, but the deer I have now named "Big Homie" made it through gun season also. He hit the same ridge Jack hit on 12/12, 12 hours later in the early morning hours of 12/13. If he was headed to bed, I know right were he was headed as his options are limited in the direction he was traveling. This deer does not spend much time on our farm, but I love knowing his is around. I hope this deer survives to next season!!!

[video=youtube;-TZSVCbEDnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TZSVCbEDnQ[/video]

It also appears we only lost a couple of does during gun season. Still think we have 3 adults and 2 young fawns running around. Things are still in decent shape out there!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A little break never hurts Jesse.We all hit that wall at times but after a little down time I get excited to get back out there.When the next cold front rolls in get back at it.Still lots of time.