Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 Coyote Harvest Thread

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Let's get this thing going......

I'll start with these 2 from Sunday.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
:smiley_clap:

I'm going to start my quest this weekend if all goes well. I've only killed one coyote and that was on a bowhunt, so I'm excited to actually try to kill one!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice work Chad. You guys driving 'em?

No, I spotted these in the open. Shot the first one with the 22-250 from around 200 yds.

Let me know if you want to get after some this year. Last year it got too late in the season to come down, but I might have a trip in me this year.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
ok, always wanted to but....wth do you do with em once you kill em? Im really naive here

We have local furbuyer that will buy them, or if they are exceptional I will skin them out and put them in the freezer for future tanning. Right now I have 2 beautiful yotes in the freezer all skinned out if anybody would like one.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
We have local furbuyer that will buy them, or if they are exceptional I will skin them out and put them in the freezer for future tanning. Right now I have 2 beautiful yotes in the freezer all skinned out if anybody would like one.

Do you sell them whole or do you have to skin them first?

saddlepants

central Ohio
well yeah, thats what I want to know. Id love to hunt them but I dunno if I want to go through the whole mess of trying to find a "ditch" for the carcass...plus yall say they stink so bad

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Do you sell them whole or do you have to skin them first?

Either way works, but the guy that buys them has a system for skinning a yote that would amaze you.....he can skin one from start to finish in 5 minutes or less! He prefers to skin them himself, but will give a few extra bucks if you skin them yourself.....It takes me almost an hour to do one, so a few bucks for an hour of work isn't worth it to me......Usually take everything whole to him.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Either way works, but the guy that buys them has a system for skinning a yote that would amaze you.....he can skin one from start to finish in 5 minutes or less! He prefers to skin them himself, but will give a few extra bucks if you skin them yourself.....It takes me almost an hour to do one, so a few bucks for an hour of work isn't worth it to me......Usually take everything whole to him.

Cool, I doubt I'm too far from you. If you don't mind could you PM me the name? Just in case I get a few this year I won't have to waste 'em.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
well yeah, thats what I want to know. Id love to hunt them but I dunno if I want to go through the whole mess of trying to find a "ditch" for the carcass...plus yall say they stink so bad

Don't let that stop you from hunting them. They smell like the average outside dog.....it's not that bad usually. Besides, you aren't going to bring them in the house with you anyhow. They are beautiful animals, but look even better hanging upside down in my barn!:smiley_crocodile:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Cool, I doubt I'm too far from you. If you don't mind could you PM me the name? Just in case I get a few this year I won't have to waste 'em.

I'm sure there are furbuyers much closer to you than the one I go to......just ask around in your area, you will be surprised how many furbuyers there are around here. If you can't find one, let me know when you kill a few yotes. It wouldn't be worth your drive unless you had 20 of them.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm sure there are furbuyers much closer to you than the one I go to......just ask around in your area, you will be surprised how many furbuyers there are around here. If you can't find one, let me know when you kill a few yotes. It wouldn't be worth your drive unless you had 20 of them.

I will see who Phil deals with, if anyone. Depending on driving distance and price, the ditch approach might just be as economical. I can only store 3 or 4 of them if I had to freeze them anyway.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I will see who Phil deals with, if anyone. Depending on driving distance and price, the ditch approach might just be as economical. I can only store 3 or 4 of them if I had to freeze them anyway.

I would recommend getting one tanned if you get a good one.....every coyote definitely isn't worthy of a tan, but when you get a good one you will know it.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
last night we stoped over at the farm to see what the loggers have tore up, they were still there when we got there and they told us that they were eating lunch and they heard a bunch of crashin in the woods in the woods by there equipment so they went to check it out and it was two yotes on a deer and by the time they got there they alredy had the deer opened up and tearin into it. it looks like im gonna be hunting them hard now they also said there was a white dog with them to said it didnt look like a yote because it was way bigger than the others so i dunno whats up with that. Ive never had much luck hunting them, ive only killed one while calling, and another with my bow, was thinking bout going out at night, does anyone have any tips for a beginner like me?