Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 Tree Seedling Sale for Portage Co.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the heads-up, Buckmaster! Keep in mind guys that pretty much all of the county Soil and Water Conservation Districts have seedling sales in the spring. Contact your local office if you're interested... It's a great way to get some trees on the cheap!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good deal Ben! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I should contact our local first. If not, I will buy enough to make the trip. I have not signed the final documents yet, but I believe I am within a couple weeks of purchasing another property. Nursery stock will be going in at this location. Would not mind some of the Spruce and maybe some persimmons for the deer. Nobody ever said I had to sell my nursery stock. lmao

Milo

Tatonka guide.
If you want your trees to really survive the critters be sure to look into grow tubes to protect them. They will also give you the added benefit of extra long growing time. It will be a couple years for a 12 inch seedling to grow out of the tube. that's 4 feet of growth. i have never found the soil and water trees to be worth a darn for me. also spruce trees and others are pretty slow growing and will not grow in the tubes.

Buckmaster

Portage
Tubes, then cages make all the difference. My 5 year old persimion are 8 foot tall started with 12-18 inch seedlings. I'm doing persimion and paw paw this year, 20 of each in a tree lines.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tubes, then cages make all the difference. My 5 year old persimion are 8 foot tall started with 12-18 inch seedlings. I'm doing persimion and paw paw this year, 20 of each in a tree lines.

Are the permissons producing mast yet? I don't know much about persimmons but I've heard the deer love 'em.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Tubes, then cages make all the difference. My 5 year old persimion are 8 foot tall started with 12-18 inch seedlings. I'm doing persimon and paw paw this year, 20 of each in a tree lines.
I'm gonna get 10 pawpaws started myself this year. More persimon this year for me too. i have one tree that has some infection so it may get cut down. zI have some huge gobbler sawtooth oaks that were supposed to be fruit bearers 2 years ago:smiley_depressive: