Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015 Groundhogs

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Heck we used to drive around with rifles in a truck bed and shoot them off the road... ha young and dumb i guess. I agree with lumber head start knockin on doors

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Added another over the weekend when I swapped camera cards. Let our 14yr old drive the UTV around the field as I scanned for hogs. It was good fun. One was too quick, or more likely we rolled up too noisily. The other we drove slower, I spotted him, then I stalked on foot closer. Nice 60-70yd shot free hand. I will take it. I have a picture but don't know how to upload from the new phone to Crapatalk.

bluedog

Up to 19. 3 on my own farm. 16 on my neighbor's farm. This is the next group I've uploaded to my Picasa album.

Numbers 11 and 12. One of these was shot at around 40 yards. I saw it after it climbed up a fence post. Missed twice before hitting it the third time. Goofy woodchuck. The other is my longest shot with .17hmr this season. Paced it at 80-90 yards. I was sitting in the middle of the field with the gun resting on my knee. One shot to the head. A little luck on my side.

Number 13, living under the floor of my neighbor's dairy barn. 5 yard shot offhand.

Number 14, feeding in a hayfield that sits next to an old farm building with a crumbling foundation.

Number 15, in the exact same spot as Number 14 about one hour later.

Number 16, I was loading the pick up truck in the driveway when I saw one duck into a hole near the culvert that goes under our farm road back to the fields. Walked up the fence line. Sat down by some equipment 40 yards away. Waited about a half hour. One shot using the fence as a nice steady rest.

I have three more yet to upload. Last two were shot on August 18th. Been out a few times since. Have seen one but no shot and it has since disappeared. Found a fresh hole being dug but so far no sign of the woodchuck. I'm looking forward to switching over to squirrels but it has got to drop below 80 degrees first. Not complaining though. After -29F last winter, I am soaking up this heat.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Lady, you're on a roll!!!! Congrats.... I've seen about a half dozen around here and all around buildings with no available shooting..... I waited an hour for the one I did see in a field.... But he was a now show lol....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I did add one a couple weeks ago. Was thinking I need to upload to the thread. Your post reminded me.

Keep ul the good work Bluedog. uploadfromtaptalk1441113452475.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Your racking up some impressive numbers!
Nice shooting! The 17 is a real killer

bluedog

I did add one a couple weeks ago. Was thinking I need to upload to the thread. Your post reminded me.

Keep ul the good work Bluedog. View attachment 35351

Good job hickslawns! Used to be that there were folks out hunting groundhogs all summer all the time. I know some areas there aren't many anymore but there are some where there is no shortage. Nice to know I'm not the only one out there who hunts all summer long.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good job hickslawns! Used to be that there were folks out hunting groundhogs all summer all the time. I know some areas there aren't many anymore but there are some where there is no shortage. Nice to know I'm not the only one out there who hunts all summer long.

I'm an opportunist. Couple properties I have where the owners have had their barns ravaged by them. I shoot them any time I get an opportunity (which isn't as often as I would like to.) I have taken a couple on the one property with my bow as well because I deer hunt that property. Walking back to my vehicle if there is one out, I put the sneak on and every so often I get a shot off.