Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Rut Report. County, Conditions.

rsmith

What I witnessed yesterday pretty much confirms what I've seen the last 4 years on this property. Young bucks cruising, and does still with fawns. It's going to bust loose in about 3 days, and my buddy and I will be there!

Pretty much what is going on at my place as well. Had a group of 4 does, 2 fawns and 2 older does some in and meander around. Then had a lone doe show up 20 minutes after they left. Should start to pick up this week with the cold weather rolling through.

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
In total agreement. I tried to catch a roamer but didn’t capitalize so oh well. North winds and brisk nights are hopefully going to get the mature bucks rolling. I’m gonna need to head to the chiropractor after the long sits I’ve got planned for the next week. Time to get back in the saddle. Best of luck all!!

rsmith

Tomorrow morning is prime to go out. 10mph N wind and low 40’s. Might skip class again to try and try and capitalize on it. I agree the 6th and 7th are going to start getting things moving. Wednesday through Friday as well with lows of high 20’s. Screw it, this whole week is going to be good.

Gordo

Athens County
Have been eyeing Tuesday since this warmer weather rolled in. Should be perfect. TCB tomorrow. Free up the middle of the week

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We'll be out late morning tomorrow and will sit the rest of the day. Tuesday through Friday will most likely be all day sits, unless Josh gets a buck killed tomorrow 😀

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Woke up, looked at the weather, got dressed, went downstairs and looked out the front door.... Yeah, that report was wrong lol....
Pouring and it don’t look like it’s going to let up anytime soon...
Was going to hit that new set this morning , I guess this afternoon will be alright lol...

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I watched a 120" 8 point bumping 5 does in a field while driving to work. That weather system that moved through accompanied by this cooler air has them in search mode today. This week and weekend are looking very promising!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
8 bucks this morning just ambling around. Not feeding but not really seeking either. They tolerated being around each other. Hope it busts loose soon. Nov 7th has been good to me in years past, both my wallhangers were shot on the 7th.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Saw a 50" buck this morning at first light. 2 Mama's and two fawns that came right by us, and a few more does in the field in the evening. Lockdown can end anytime now lol.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Been hunting everyday and have seen does and small bucks, I do have a droptine showing himself at dusk still legal shooting hours, hoping I can get a shot! skunk urine mixed with regular doe urine is my annual secret recipe for bringing the big bruisers in, works terrific, old timer trick learned in WV from some serious mountain men, seriously works!

Do you drink that over ice?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
My brother and 2 buddies killed bucks the last few days all 3 by themselves only chasing we have seen have been small basket racks. I just wish the wind would quit pounding my eyeballs everywhere I go

Jal5

Small 6 pt chasing today in Jeff Co. The bigger 8pt was just cruising thru this morning out of range of course. Bunch of does and some fawns.

toke2

Travel a lot for work in Ohio and PA. Every roadkill I have seen ( about 7-8 ) this week have been bucks ( mostly spikes and small ones). Today at about 1pm was in Westlake by CLE airport and saw a big deer run right across a busy road up about 100 yds. As I drove by where I thought it went in, I saw a HUGE 10 point!! A real bruiser. Wanted to stop but too much traffic. Only one thing gets these mature deer moving mid day..... Unfortunately I won't be in the woods until Saturday.

Jal5

They are definitely moving more. Unfortunately i messed up chance at that big 8 pt this am. He appeared out of nowhere just as I turned to look left. I tried a bleat to get him to pause and he did but right behind a big tree. Then he moved off trotting no shot there.

A few all day sits in the last week have been pretty fruitless for me and my buddy in Carroll County. Small bucks are showing up in small numbers, but no bucks worth launching a fletched missile at. Does have been scarce, but when seen most had fawns in tow. I did miss a huge gobbler Tuesday at 26 yards. Not only lost my arrow, but shattered my confidence in the Wicked Ridge. I hadn't missed a shot with my Hortons in many years. I checked the WR and she shot perfect in the backyard. Shooter error I'm guessing on the gobbler.

A few all day sits in the last week have been pretty fruitless for me and my buddy in Carroll County. Small bucks are showing up in small numbers, but no bucks worth launching a fletched missile at. Does have been scarce, but when seen most had fawns in tow. I did miss a huge gobbler Tuesday at 26 yards. Not only lost my arrow, but shattered my confidence in the Wicked Ridge. I hadn't missed a shot with my Hortons in many years. I checked the WR and she shot perfect in the backyard. Shooter error I'm guessing on the gobbler.

Never admit shooter error. LOL. If bow is shooting perfect then it must have been a twig that you didn't see.