Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2018 Whos going where??

Isaacorps

Columbus
Seriously considering doing a DIY hunt in Kentucky during their early muzzleloader season in October. Always thought it would be cool to put something together out of state on my own. I’m planning on doing a scouting trip sometime in June to check out a couple spots. That should tell me whether I want to pursue it further

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Seriously considering doing a DIY hunt in Kentucky during their early muzzleloader season in October. Always thought it would be cool to put something together out of state on my own. I’m planning on doing a scouting trip sometime in June to check out a couple spots. That should tell me whether I want to pursue it further
You think June is a good time to scout? Going to be green as hell.

Isaacorps

Columbus

Unfortunately the only time I have to go. Been studying topos so more or less just want to see the lay of the land as it compares to the maps. I’ll be largely going in blind without actually “going in blind”

Reactions: Bigslam51

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Unfortunately the only time I have to go. Been studying topos so more or less just want to see the lay of the land as it compares to the maps. I’ll be largely going in blind without actually “going in blind”
How early in October?

Isaacorps

Columbus

How early in October?

3rd week

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok... I'm not one for keeping secrets... So here goes: While out in Illinois shed hunting in March I took Chad to a piece we have that's right down the road from one of our honey holes... We never use it because it's mostly a big field bordered in the back by a small river.. There are a few trees along the river but I never thought abut using it for a paying customer as I want everyone to have a great hunt... Well Chad liked it and showed interest in hunting it... So we gave him a discounted hunt the last week of Oct. Hell basically be our Guiny pig.... Hope he kills a 200 incher...

Reactions: giles and bigten05

Isaacorps

Columbus
I love the last week of Oct. Pre-Rut when they are starting to cruise.... Good Luck....

Thanks! I’m pretty excited to get down there and check it out. The area I’m looking at is pretty mountainous with lots of promising looking ridges with some good pinch points, cuts, saddles, etc. This is all based off of topos and satellite pics, of course. That’s why I’m itching to get down there and lay eyes on it. I had thought about checking out 2 different WMAs but since I’m only going down for a 1 day scouting trip I think my time will be best utilized by concentrating in the more promising looking of the 2. It’s a LARGE area with lots of remote stuff that will take a good hike in to get to and get away from other folks. That, however, is part of the adventure of it for me. If all works out I plan on hunting both days of the muzzy weekend and tent camping nearby

Reactions: bigten05

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I hunt a few different public pieces down there but the places I have hunted are not open for the early muzzy. I went down for that late season last year and saw some good movement but damn it was colder. It happened to be the first year they allowed a gun hunt on that place and it wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Isaacorps

Columbus
I hunt a few different public pieces down there but the places I have hunted are not open for the early muzzy. I went down for that late season last year and saw some good movement but damn it was colder. It happened to be the first year they allowed a gun hunt on that place and it wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought.

That’s good to hear, I’m sure it had a lot to do with the weather lol. I’m figuring it’ll be somewhat crowded during the early muzzleloader so I’m gonna scope out some out of the way spots. Good thing is that I’ll still have a tag to fill for late season if I don’t fill it during the early season. Assuming my schedule allows lol

Isaacorps

Columbus
Got a campsite reserved for the weekend of early muzzleloader about 20 minutes from the spot I plan to hunt. If for some reason it doesn’t work out to hunt it, the wife and I will have a nice weekend camping [emoji1]

Reactions: bigten05

teej89

NE PA
Montana was good to us! DIY on public land, realized packing an elk 4mi out in two trips is more of a task than I imagined it to be. One night we got back to camp at 3am, didn't help my dad shot a bull the same day as mine at a different trailhead, was 36hrs of packing meat.
IMG_0151.JPG

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Holy smokes that's a lot of work! I'm sure it was worth it though. Congrats! Montana is incredible.