Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2018 WTF’s Up Chuck

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A little late start this year, been out twice and both times winds gusting at over 20 mph. Not real conducive to sending a 58 grain vmax down range 200+ yards at a small target.
No hits so far, missed 2 and started second guessing my zero on the gun.

Hit the range yesterday and my gut was correct. 2.5” left at 100 yards. Got it zeroed at an 1” high and dead nuts center at 100 and pretty much dead on at 200 yards.

Now to get back out and get some retribution on the 2 I missed 😂

I’ll be back at the range today after I pick up my 22 mag scope and rings. Should be in today. Slight mishap with a sling this January put the gun on the back burner and scope in the trash. I’ve had it mounted on that gun since I got it in 1984 and it’s always been a tack driver and has killed a lot of groundhogs over the years. So it’ll be good to see how the new vortex crossfire 3-9x40 works. Can’t wait to get too the range with it.

So stay tuned and hopefully later this week I’ll be to update the status of my groundhog debacle so far 😂 Who knows it may involve a Ruger American .450 😂😂😂

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
697D2315-9CA4-4870-B3B2-8BD05131866F.jpeg
Well, first one on the board for the season...
Sat down and relaxed, taking in the sights and sounds... looked up and it was standing up at 215 yards. Lined up, squeezing it off... Thought I pulled the shot... waited 25 minutes and it didn’t pop back out so walked over and there he laid....
neumero uno....
Got the 22 mag all set up and zeroed in and digging that vortex crossfire 3-9x40....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been out 3 or 4 times and have yet to see one. But I think my timing has been off. Need to go either earlier in the morning or later in the evening I think.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've been out 3 or 4 times and have yet to see one. But I think my timing has been off. Need to go either earlier in the morning or later in the evening I think.

I’ve been hitting mid day and have been seeing them moving, but morning and evening would be much better....

Whatcha toting Jim?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I’ve been hitting mid day and have been seeing them moving, but morning and evening would be much better....

Whatcha toting Jim?

Rock River .223 with some varmint tips. I also took your advice and got a rangefinder to carry along.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thursday evening I was out chasing 🦃 and when I was done and walking up a lane that I park my truck off of I noticed something by my truck that didn’t seem normal, pulled out the binos and sure enough, 2 groundhogs, 1 by the drivers side front tire and one in front of the truck....
Fast forward to yesterday, I’m driving down the lane to go turkey hunting and there’s 3 on the lane, 2 take off as soon as they see me but the 3rd one was just laying there. My first thought was someone hit it and that’s where it laid. I pulled up too I’d to where I could just see it over the hood of the truck. Damn thing was sleeping and just jumped up looked at the truck for a split second and then hauled ass too it’s hole 25’ away 😂😂😂
One of the weirdest encounters with a ground hog to date....

I’ve already scoped out my route to the hillside where said ground hogs will (hopefully) meet their demise 😂😂😂

Does anyone realize the self control one needs to not shoot a ground hog up close and personal with a turkey load??? I should be awarded a long beard because of it 😂😂😂😂

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
5E516475-4E06-4919-8CEB-36D0037AFD7E.jpeg
5E516475-4E06-4919-8CEB-36D0037AFD7E.jpegWell zero for gobblers and this guy was where I usually park at but threw him a curve ball. Turkey load didn’t get a turkey today but I’ll yake this instead since the gobbler wouldn’t cooperate. 40 yards and rolled him and finished him up with a follow up.
Sitting now with the 22 mag waiting for his buddy to show up.... My luck a friggin gobbler will walk by in full strut 😂😂😂

Reactions: Bigslam51