Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

45-70 barrel length

PAbowhunter84

Pa
Ok I have a question. I’m going to buy a 45-70, but I’m not sure about the barrel length. Is there that much of a difference between an 18” barrel over a 20” out to say 200 yards? Most all of my shots will be under that. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
On a 45-70 I don’t really think it’ll matter which one you go with. If you’re doing a lot of stalking/driving I’d go with the shortest barrel more so to lighten the load more than anything. If you’re stand hunting then get whatever is the best price.
It’s more important once you get the gun too hit the range with it as much as you can to get comfortable with it and know where it hits at what yardage. That to me is way more important than length of the barrel especially being a shorter range type gun....

Welcome too the site, lots of knowledgeable folks here. Not so much me but lots of others are 😂

Reactions: PAbowhunter84

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ok I have a question. I’m going to buy a 45-70, but I’m not sure about the barrel length. Is there that much of a difference between an 18” barrel over a 20” out to say 200 yards? Most all of my shots will be under that. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone Admin note: Please go in to your app settings and disable signatures.

Negligible difference bud. The real difference will be in aiming. If you intend to put a scooe on it then it doesn't matter. But for iron sights the 20 will be a little easier to aim steady. Welcome to the site!

Reactions: PAbowhunter84

PAbowhunter84

Pa
On a 45-70 I don’t really think it’ll matter which one you go with. If you’re doing a lot of stalking/driving I’d go with the shortest barrel more so to lighten the load more than anything. If you’re stand hunting then get whatever is the best price.
It’s more important once you get the gun too hit the range with it as much as you can to get comfortable with it and know where it hits at what yardage. That to me is way more important than length of the barrel especially being a shorter range type gun....

Welcome too the site, lots of knowledgeable folks here. Not so much me but lots of others are [emoji23]

Ok thank you, I wasn’t really sure. It’s never been something that I really ever thought about, I’ve only used a shotgun and a rifle in PA.

PAbowhunter84

Pa

Sent from my iPhone Admin note: Please go in to your app settings and disable signatures.

Negligible difference bud. The real difference will be in aiming. If you intend to put a scooe on it then it doesn't matter. But for iron sights the 20 will be a little easier to aim steady. Welcome to the site!

Thank you, I’ll be using a scope on it so it should be fine