Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

62 Nova

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. Hoping to pick it up tonight if possible. Immediate needs: Once home I can do some research. I need to put power disc brakes on the front of this. Once this is accomplished, I will turn Erin loose in it. Currently, it pulls to either side and you need to pump the pedal once before you get a good pedal feel. Just the way they were built 54 years ago. I need it to be safe.

Next comes the question: Do you spend $700 and put disc brakes on there or spend $1299 and do full power, higher performance brakes? Hate to spend more money, but when it comes to safety you can't put a price on it. I would imagine a deer or dog or kid running out in the road and us not being able to stop quick enough. That is enough to spend a little more. I don't think I need the 4 piston/caliper Bembro or Baer system like a 400hp car would need, but I need to do my research to decide if the $700 or $1300 option is best for us.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks guys. Hoping to pick it up tonight if possible. Immediate needs: Once home I can do some research. I need to put power disc brakes on the front of this. Once this is accomplished, I will turn Erin loose in it. Currently, it pulls to either side and you need to pump the pedal once before you get a good pedal feel. Just the way they were built 54 years ago. I need it to be safe.

Next comes the question: Do you spend $700 and put disc brakes on there or spend $1299 and do full power, higher performance brakes? Hate to spend more money, but when it comes to safety you can't put a price on it. I would imagine a deer or dog or kid running out in the road and us not being able to stop quick enough. That is enough to spend a little more. I don't think I need the 4 piston/caliper Bembro or Baer system like a 400hp car would need, but I need to do my research to decide if the $700 or $1300 option is best for us.
Doesn't matter how fast you go if ya can't stop. If the motors strong, spend the money.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I guess I'd find out if another platforms brake system will work on it and see if you can do that swap... Might save you some money....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Picked it up tonight. I knew the ignition switch was in need of replacement. First stop was gas station. Came out after paying and it wouldn't start. Fiddled with ignition and tumbler comes out. Springs fly out of tumbler. Oh crap. So I call the previous owner and he came to give me a hand. In the meantime I was googling "how to hot wire your car." Got it figured out and resumed cruising.

Get to my parents house to have pizza. My wife was surprised when she met us as she didn't know I was picking it up today. We all looked it over and after dinner I gave my mom a ride. We cruised and talked. Mom reminisced and we enjoyed the ride with windows down. I get to stop sign close to mom's house. Dad and kids were playing basketball. I revved it up, slipped the clutch and burnt them off in first, with a solid chirp from the tires shifting to second. Mom covered her ears and turned as red as the car. I laughed and laughed as I pulled in. I am still smiling 10min later. TOO good!

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's some fun facts for you guys.

Original sell price: $ 2,264.
Weight: 2,550# (that's why they go fast).
Number Produced: 59,586.......how many currently are not soup cans?

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo

Next comes the question: Do you spend $700 and put disc brakes on there or spend $1299 and do full power, higher performance brakes? Hate to spend more money, but when it comes to safety you can't put a price on it. I would imagine a deer or dog or kid running out in the road and us not being able to stop quick enough. That is enough to spend a little more. I don't think I need the 4 piston/caliper Bembro or Baer system like a 400hp car would need, but I need to do my research to decide if the $700 or $1300 option is best for us

Ive done a few non power 4 wheel drum brake cars. Best brakes for the money were the wildwood front disc kit. On the Chevelles ive done they made a kit for drum brake spindles. you wont need a power booster. but you will need a new master cylinder. Ive also used the complete brake kits with 4 wheel disc and power booster and they didn't stop the car as good as the manual wildwood kit. The wildwood kits are around $700. Even though its a manual kit it stops a lot easier then you may think. Good luck.

I looked on Summit racing. They have many kits. Wildwood don't have a kit for your stock spindles. Other companys do. Theres a lot to choose from. Id call and talk to a tech before ordering to make sure everything will fit.https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/rsd-afxwk03c_xl.jpg?rep=False This kit is $600

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Our very own Buckmaster has some Nova projects. He put me in touch with Chuck at Church Boys Racing. I told him how we would be using the car. He recommended a power disc brake setup by the Right Stuff. Rotors, pads, stainless lines, brake hoses, calipers, caliper brackets, proportioning valve, master cylinder, brake booster, hardware, etc shipped to my door for $688. That is cheaper than or the same price as doing brakes on my truck if I only order pads and rotors.

Here are some additional pics of the car.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice.... That's cheap for all that you're getting Phil.... I switched my boat trailer from drum to disc with a new surge brake actuator.... This was a half dozen years ago or so and had 300 in that.... I think you'll be very happy with that upgrade....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very impressive Phil!
I'm sure she will let you drive it occasionally to change the oil or wash/wax it! Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice.... That's cheap for all that you're getting Phil.... I switched my boat trailer from drum to disc with a new surge brake actuator.... This was a half dozen years ago or so and had 300 in that.... I think you'll be very happy with that upgrade....

I thought so. Still a chunk of money, but for the safety factor you about have to do it. Like I said, it costs close to that to buy a couple rotors and brake pads for a big truck. I was happy with the price.

And I think you are right Jim. She "might" occasionally let me drive it. lol

Buckmaster

Portage
Trunk looks nice Phil. Get some of those rattle cans of trunk paint and freshen that baby up! That's easy, cheap work that goes a long way in appearance.