Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

99% Ignorant

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks for all of the quick replies! I just scoured all 30+ pages in the summer outing thread and just realized that me and my Subaru might be run off the property. :smiley_chinrub:

Hell you're good, we didn't run Huck off and he's owned a couple.... Hell we allow ram owners to show up....

DustOfMan

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Not to take this derailed subject from the field and back onto the road but...

Yes! Coming to the outing would be good. The opportunity to speak with men that only want to share a story would be an outstanding opportunity. No Cabela's salesmen. No one pushing a tape or gizmo.
(and trust me. You will have a box or drawer someday with that of crap that didn't work you picked up or were given...)

If you are lucky enough to have an experienced hunter go with you, go! As Dan said, there are some guys close to you. It doesn't have to be in season. Walking the woods you have access to with a "experienced" hunter OFF season would be very helpful. They may help you to determine paths, food and/or bedding as well as shooting lanes and stand location. They may help you to understand the movement and habits. If you can choose an location or two or three for stands or blinds you will know the distance you need to master for the shot.

Wither a firearm or a bow, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE then PRACTICE some more.

I would not worry about all the "how-to" crap. If you want to hunt deer, study all you can about deer behaver, socialization, diet and the rut. I have enjoyed many hunting shows over the years but you may find that many things that work for one guy may not help you. Know the deer on your land and know your weapon. Starting out a "new hunter" you should keep it simple until you get your head around just being in the woods in stealth mode. In time, you will try drawing them in with things like ratteling or grunts or a dozen other tactics.

Most of the deer I have taken were because I knew where they were moving down the woods and I simply waited in a well chosen location and knew MY personal limits with the gun or bow.

I Wish you the best!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Welcome! Glad to have you around. Everyone here will be more than glad to help in most any way we can. Again: We All Started Somewhere.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not to take this derailed subject from the field and back onto the road but...

Yes! Coming to the outing would be good. The opportunity to speak with men that only want to share a story would be an outstanding opportunity. No Cabela's salesmen. No one pushing a tape or gizmo.
(and trust me. You will have a box or drawer someday with that of crap that didn't work you picked up or were given...)

If you are lucky enough to have an experienced hunter go with you, go! As Dan said, there are some guys close to you. It doesn't have to be in season. Walking the woods you have access to with a "experienced" hunter OFF season would be very helpful. They may help you to determine paths, food and/or bedding as well as shooting lanes and stand location. They may help you to understand the movement and habits. If you can choose an location or two or three for stands or blinds you will know the distance you need to master for the shot.

Wither a firearm or a bow, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE then PRACTICE some more.

I would not worry about all the "how-to" crap. If you want to hunt deer, study all you can about deer behaver, socialization, diet and the rut. I have enjoyed many hunting shows over the years but you may find that many things that work for one guy may not help you. Know the deer on your land and know your weapon. Starting out a "new hunter" you should keep it simple until you get your head around just being in the woods in stealth mode. In time, you will try drawing them in with things like ratteling or grunts or a dozen other tactics.

Most of the deer I have taken were because I knew where they were moving down the woods and I simply waited in a well chosen location and knew MY personal limits with the gun or bow.

I Wish you the best!

Great post right there!