Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A tip for my TOOzer friends

matt hougan

Dayton area
JBrowns post this week inspired me to offer a few tips as well, strictly for my new TOOzer brothers and sisters.

I appologize for the sound quality but you get the idea. If you guys find this useful I'd gladly make more.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff, Matt! I've used the dollar bill trick a time or two but the RainX is a new one for me... Definitely gonna give that one a try. Great calling too, BTW!!!

matt hougan

Dayton area
Good stuff, Matt! I've used the dollar bill trick a time or two but the RainX is a new one for me... Definitely gonna give that one a try. Great calling too, BTW!!!

I am really glad. I figured this is really basic stuff and would be wasting band width on stuff everyone already knows. I love teaching and its cool to pass along the stuff folks have taught me. Been awhile since I've done a seminar, you are giving me the itch to do some seminars again.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome Matt. Thanks for making that video. I bet the same could be done for yote, crow calls or any reed style call. Thanks again man..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am really glad. I figured this is really basic stuff and would be wasting band width on stuff everyone already knows. I love teaching and its cool to pass along the stuff folks have taught me. Been awhile since I've done a seminar, you are giving me the itch to do some seminars again.

I tell you what would be great... a goose calling demo. There is a lot of good instructionals for how to make certain calls on a short-reed, but not much out there talks about how and when to use said calls. I'm pretty decent with a short-reed since I've had several years of practice, but even still I am in the dark as to which calls to use as comeback calls and laydown calls, etc. When I'm goose hunting I pretty much just throw everything at them with not a whole lot of rhyme or reason... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Even though I can make most of the sounds a goose makes, not knowing 100% which ones and when to use them is hindering my success no doubt. I think a goose reading/calling demo would be a great addition to TOO.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I tell you what would be great... a goose calling demo. There is a lot of good instructionals for how to make certain calls on a short-reed, but not much out there talks about how and when to use said calls. I'm pretty decent with a short-reed since I've had several years of practice, but even still I am in the dark as to which calls to use as comeback calls and laydown calls, etc. When I'm goose hunting I pretty much just throw everything at them with not a whole lot of rhyme or reason... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Even though I can make most of the sounds a goose makes, not knowing 100% which ones and when to use them is hindering my success no doubt. I think a goose reading/calling demo would be a great addition to TOO.

This guys not a TOOzer but I've been watching his calling videos for a while now and seems to me at least, to be some great instructionals on goose calling from beginner to advanced...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQU8QCsIt_8&feature=related