Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anchoring ground blind

It seems I have nothing better to do than pick everyone's brains here. I promise. I do. I have two jobs. Lmao. Anyways. Anyone have any creative ideas on how to keep a ground blind staying put out in the field. Putting my turkey blinds up this weekend and it seems that no matter how well I stake my blinds down, my blinds become flying camo umbrellas. Lol. Im not looking at breaking the bank or really even spend money if there is something I'm not thinking of. I'll need basically 8 anchors per blind and I've spend my hunting budget before turkey season [emoji58] I'm just tired of replacing hubs, rods and patching blinds. Give me some hillbilly ingenuity!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What kind of stakes have you been using and how are you anchoring them? You putting them in flush with the ground and at a 45 degree angle?

What kind of stakes have you been using and how are you anchoring them? You putting them in flush with the ground and at a 45 degree angle?
I'm assuming the heavier duty tent stakes. Probably 6" long, 1/4" thick. Put them in at a 45 degree angle. The blinds are basically going to get put up now and brushed in so they can get used during both turkey and deer season. I have good supports for the roof to stop that from collapsing which always works well but doesn't help when they turn into kites.

I've almost resorted into digging a 6-8" hole, pounding the stakes into the bottom of that hole and then re-covering the hole. Just wanted to avoid that cuz if the rope breaks then I'll never find the stakes again.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Better stakes (Wally World Camping Section. Use all 12 spots if you have that many. Don't leave any windows open if you can help it. And remember where your dominant winds are coming from in the spring. (Use woods or thickets to block wind if you can).

Better stakes (Wally World Camping Section. Use all 12 spots if you have that many. Don't leave any windows open if you can help it. And remember where your dominant winds are coming from in the spring. (Use woods or thickets to block wind if you can).
Yeah. They're closed until hunting and unfortunately those blinds are in open areas, hence why there is a blind there. Def. keep looking for better stakes.

I have used these stakes in the past from Wally World. The one's I got at the store have orange tops on them though.

I have also been doing this if you have a spot that you can do it. So much nicer sitting on a platform than on the ground. I built most of this out of a deck that I redid a couple of years ago. It just sits on the ground. You can level her up on sloping ground too. I just anchor it with deck screws and fender washers. Never lose a blind.

IMG_02461_zpsbnla1mqb by cspot12, on Flickr

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Reactions: Dustinb80
I have used these stakes in the past from Wally World. The one's I got at the store have orange tops on them though.

I have also been doing this if you have a spot that you can do it. So much nicer sitting on a platform than on the ground. I built most of this out of a deck that I redid a couple of years ago. It just sits on the ground. You can level her up on sloping ground too. I just anchor it with deck screws and fender washers. Never lose a blind.

IMG_02461_zpsbnla1mqb by cspot12, on Flickr

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr
I really like that deck idea. Especially gaining a little more sight as I hate being in a blind anyways.