Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone fish Clear Fork Reservoir?

Clear Fork Reservoir is closer, for me, than Lake Erie and safer too. I've been reading the ODNR stats on this piece of water and it sounds like it's a potiential producer of larger fish.

* Has anyone fished it and knows what's there to catch?

I plan on taking my kayak and doing some trolling, but if that doesn't produce anything, I'll try casting to see what's hitting. I'm not targeting any particular species, but would like to catch "eating" sized fish.

Any info that you can pass along, about this lake is greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Derek j

Knox Co.
I know in early spring it is great for crappie. A few guys have told me that the cats are hitting pretty good there right now. If we get some cool nights the crappie may surface a little more and you could probably catch them TOO. It is also a good bluegill spot around the edges.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Weeds are so thick around the edges this year do to little rain and almost constant sunshine this year you better bring some weedless hooks. If you fish cats from the bank you can't cast out far enough to get past the weeds.

It does have good largemouth, white bass, crappie, and catfish if you can find the holes in the weeds this time of year. You might even get a big ol muskie along the weed beds.

RedCloud said:
Weeds are so thick around the edges this year do to little rain and almost constant sunshine this year you better bring some weedless hooks. If you fish cats from the bank you can't cast out far enough to get past the weeds.
RedCloud,
The edges don't concern me too much, but thanks for the hot tip. :smiley_blink:

Here's my weapon of choice:

Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Plan on staying out from shore a ways and fishing pockets. I'm just sayin that the weeds are horrid out there this year with little rain and nothin but sunshine beating down on a clear lake with mud bottom. If ya go make sure to post some pics of da fishis.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
You have a fish finder? There are some rock piles at the east end by the spillway. The summer crappie like to hang out in the deep water around those piles. There is a dropoff by the islands in the mddle of the lake on the north side. Not a bad spot for cats. There are a few shallow coves on the south edge where you can see the bluegills. Otherwise you could troll the main channel and the weededges for muskie. If you happen to find a school of yellow perch, stay in them. There are a few good ones in there.

Hoytmania said:
Be sure to let us know when you are coming down 57. Maybe we can do a small meet and greet.
Hoytmania,
I'll be on the road around 9:30ish and am going to the TOO shoot just west of Roscoe Village...but only to drop off some climbing sticks for cotty16, from hickslawns. I gotta drop off some climbing sticks and a treestand to HuckleberryFinn, on the way...around Fredricktown. I should get to the Crooked Run club around noonish and have about an hour drive back to the N.W. to get to Clear Fork. I'm guessing around 1:30 or so. I'll be in a green kayak and my brother's kayak is orange.

dante322 said:
You have a fish finder?
dante322,
Yes, I do and it works great! I was looking at the ODNR website map for Clear Fork and it appears that the east end of that lake would be a better place to troll for muskies. I can't wait to get on this piece of water and see what I can catch. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Hoytmania,
I'll be on the road around 9:30ish and am going to the TOO shoot just west of Roscoe Village...but only to drop off some climbing sticks for cotty16, from hickslawns. I gotta drop off some climbing sticks and a treestand to HuckleberryFinn, on the way...around Fredricktown. I should get to the Crooked Run club around noonish and have about an hour drive back to the N.W. to get to Clear Fork. I'm guessing around 1:30 or so. I'll be in a green kayak and my brother's kayak is orange.

dante322,
Yes, I do and it works great! I was looking at the ODNR website map for Clear Fork and it appears that the east end of that lake would be a better place to troll for muskies. I can't wait to get on this piece of water and see what I can catch. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

57 Ill see you at the shoot then going down for a while myself.

Well, I can say that I've fished Clear Fork...for the first and last time. :smiley_arrogant: I've never been on a worse fishing trip, in my life. Never got the first fish in the boat, the water was murky and a lot of boat traffic. I should've taken the hint after talking to some of the guys at the TOO archery event, as the guys that live near it had said that they've either never fished it or wouldn't fish it. :smiley_armscrossed: I guess, with some pieces of water, you don't know until you go.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to hear of the miserable fishing. The "hillbilly express" shipping service was much appreciated. I can't thank you enough.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
the water was murky and a lot of boat traffic.

Thats actually kind of unusaull. there must have been a muskie tournament this weekend, it ususall isnt very busy. The water must have been murky due to the rain earlier in the week.

The spring crappie bite isnt bad, redcloud and I hit it a couple times in the spring. we"ll hook up in may and I'll show you a couple spots.

No problem Phil! I committed to going earlier in the week and wasn't going to bale, due to fishing plans...just not cool.
Steve and Mike, it was great to meet you guys. The next time there's a shoot, I'll go, stay, shoot, visit, etc. Hind sight's always 20 20. :smiley_chinrub:

dante322,
The wind was out of the north and that's never a good thing either. The larger the body of water the more east and north winds will ruin the fishing. Smaller ponds are effected, but not nearly as much.
I don't know if you're familar with the wind direction fishing suggestion...

Wind from the north, don't go forth.
Wind from the east, the fishing's the least.
Wind from the west, the fishing's the best.
Wind from the south, blows the bait in their mouth.

I've never seen it fail, in this part of the country. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

FredT

SE Ohio
It is supposed to be the #2 Musky lake in the state with Leesville being #1. I'll get out there some day, but Leesville is less than an hour away for me.