Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone fish Killdeer Plains?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've duck hunted it a bit, and there are some nice ponds that should hold fish. I'll take a look at my Killdeer map and let you know the ones that I would try.

I fished it, yesterday and came up empty. :smiley_depressive: The water color is a strange light green, that looks like someone's pond with "sun shade" coloring in it and you can only see down about 2 feet or so.

I might go back, but I'll check out the other smaller ponds and not the reservoir. Ohh....another thing...the water level is down about 30 feet. :smiley_chinrub: As high as the walls are, you'd think there would be more water in it, but the boat ramp is about 50 yards long. The water level is the same height as the parking lot, outside the reservoir.

As I understand it, from the locals, there was a leak in the dike/wall about 3 years ago and there's an ongoing arguement as to who should pay for it...the ODNR or the Div. of Water. :smiley_arrogant:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Last edited:
Well, I went back and fished pond #33 and caught 3 nice bass...in the 14" to 16" range. However, there's an 18" minimum, so I had to let them go. I won't be going back to the Killdeer Wildlife area, to fish. I'll find some other ponds that will allow me to keep what I catch.

I did catch a nice 5" monster bass with perfect markings, on a popper fly.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57