Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ATV, UTV, compact tractor, WTF?

twireman

Kingston, OH
My dad has a Kawasaki mule on his place... that thing never ceases to amaze me what it can do....it wont win a race but it will work.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great suggestions from folks in the know here. As you know, I don't have enough property to maintain for hunting and such. However, I do have 6 acres of woods that does have a lot of trees and more firewood than I'll ever burn. Around there, I've used a small utility trailer (5x8) that I purchased for 500-600 on sale from TSC to haul a heck of a lot of wood. Additionally, the same trailer hauls my Honda Foreman and Mower regularly. Attaching a 1 7/8'' ball onto the four wheeler makes it about the handiest unit for me to have around the swamp. But, I'll be using my neighbors skid steer and tractor shortly to do some more serious woods-clearing soon. Good neighbors are a gem... I won't be dropping money on a personal skid steer or tractor anytime soon.
Good luck, I'm sure you are enjoying the process and that's what it's all about.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jamie

Ohio
thanks for all the information, everybody. I'm shopping for used, but I suppose I ought to see what a hand full of cash will get me at a dealership. ATV and a trailer that it can tow is what I really need. and that is mostly for reaching secluded firewood. Greg, where did you buy your buggy?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Check the Honda dealer in Rareden. My FIL was a Goldwing fan for years. Bought a new one every other year and always claimed they were the best priced in the state.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
thanks for all the information, everybody. I'm shopping for used, but I suppose I ought to see what a hand full of cash will get me at a dealership. ATV and a trailer that it can tow is what I really need. and that is mostly for reaching secluded firewood. Greg, where did you buy your buggy?
A buddy of mine told me about this place a while ago. You won't find them any cheaper.

https://snowspolarisatvs.com/Showroom/Current-Inventory

Hope this helps and good luck!

Jamie

Ohio
Brock, how do you like your Honda Foreman? they seem to have all the features I want, and I'm a big fan of Honda power equipment. nobody has anything bad to say about Honda atv's so far. appears that I'm going to spend twice as much as I'd like on this affair. :(

From my investigation Honda has a real transmission no bands to tighten.
They where the highest rated best reviewed ATV out there. They really held there value in the used market.
I don’t think you could go wrong with a Honda new or used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Bigslam51

Jamie

Ohio
only gear driven tranny on the market, I think. Right on, Giles. still, I have feelers out for a clean used Honda, and plenty of patience while trying to convince myself that it won't break me to stop being such a Jew and just buy a new one. probly the only one I'll ever have to buy if I get a good one.

Reactions: Jackalope

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
1693B8BB-3AB4-41F5-8C06-7D1D85D56BB4.jpeg

twireman

Kingston, OH
My only real experience with Honda is my Father in laws mid 90’s 300 fourtrax.... im telling ya that thing has done more work than any fourwheeler around...2wd to boot. Heated his house 100% with wood its hauled on a wagon. Plowed the drive. Backfilled ditches.. hell he caught the battery on fire once and it keeps truckin along. Built like a damn tank.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Only issues I had with my Honda Rancher 400 (which I have since sold): Electrical. There was something in the electric shift that got corroded. Nothing major. Did have to take it to the dealer. Roughly $300. That said, we used it nearly exclusively to spray lawns, parking lots for weeds, and to plow snow. These are all corrosive environments. If I could have bought one I manually shifted with my foot I would have, but I bought it used. Had low miles. Used it 4-5yrs. Sold it. I think I got most of my money back when i sold it. Might have lost $500-1000 over that time period in depreciation. Bought one battery. Had the shift issue that cost a few hundred. Nothing to complain about.

only gear driven tranny on the market, I think. Right on, Giles. still, I have feelers out for a clean used Honda, and plenty of patience while trying to convince myself that it won't break me to stop being such a Jew and just buy a new one. probly the only one I'll ever have to buy if I get a good one.

If you are somebody that takes reasonably takes cares of stuff, I think most of the popular ATV's out there would last you a long time.

Reactions: 5Cent

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Lots of good advice here. Good luck in your decision Jamie.
I personally own both a UTV and a compact tractor. I use them both and as some have said, none of these can do everything that your wanting to do. However, my side by side I used the most and my clear choice between the 3. Although, finding one within your 2-5k budget may be hard?
Good luck Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
my budget limits are meaningless now, lol. if I'm going to shell out $6k for a used one, I'll pony up another couple thousand and get a new one. I take care of my stuff, but I'm not all into turning wrenches as a pastime. I can fix stuff and do maintenance, but I'd rather be doing most anything else besides working on my power equipment. durable, reliable, longevity mean a lot to me when it comes to expensive machinery. pretty obvious to me that I'm going to have to get really lucky to find a used Rancher or Foreman with the features I want for substantially less than a new one.