Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backup plan

KYhunter

Well now that I have filled my ky tag, I'm shifting my focus to an Ohio hunt. I'm looking to come up and bow hunt, and I'm wondering about a couple public land spots. I've been looking at the Shawnee state forest, and the tranquility wildlife area. Both are about an hour drive from my buddies house, so that's gonna save me a hotel bill. Still planning on the Miamisburg hunt, but looking at these if I don't fill my tag, or get to come a couple weekends early. Any advice on which one to look at??

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Ive hunted Tranquility. Nice area. Always a big buck coming outta there. I like the eastern part of it the best. Hunting pressure was not to bad the last time I hunted there but its been a few years. There are a lot of places to go in deep. Access is not the best in some places.
I have some friends that hunt the border and they say there is still a fair amount of deer there. The terrain is flat to quite hilly in a few places. They plant corn and beans inside the public hunting area. Ive only turkey hunted Shawnee, Great hunting but im not into climbing mountains.

Crowell392

I hunt the tranquility area some, I haven't seen and big bucks yet but I have seen several does and small bucks.

KYhunter

Ive hunted Tranquility. Nice area. Always a big buck coming outta there. I like the eastern part of it the best. Hunting pressure was not to bad the last time I hunted there but its been a few years. There are a lot of places to go in deep. Access is not the best in some places.
I have some friends that hunt the border and they say there is still a fair amount of deer there. The terrain is flat to quite hilly in a few places. They plant corn and beans inside the public hunting area. Ive only turkey hunted Shawnee, Great hunting but im not into climbing mountains.
Yea from what I've read the terrain in tranquility is much easier than the Shawnee. Thanks for the info, I may look into both of them, I think bow hunting pressure shouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't even attempt it for a gun hunt

Isaacorps

Columbus
You could disappear into Shawnee and never see another soul. Lots of big deer come out of adams county but it's super hilly and rough terrain as previously mentioned. Beautiful area but you'll work for it

KYhunter

Hunting extreme eastern ky prepares me for that mountainous terrain lol I'll feel right at home!

KYhunter

Then Shawnee is the place for you! What part of eastern Kentucky? I lived in Perry county for a bit as a kid
I'm in knott county lol so you were right next door to me! I don't think there is anything like hunting these big mountain bucks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Go here, then thank me later. Park on Rocky Creek and follow the creek up...

uploadfromtaptalk1476705895524.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Oh, I hooked ya up. LOL. And a few thousand other folks, but this ain't for the faint of heart and you still got some homework to do, but it's a short cut and half. I even cleaned out the green briar from the base of the tree...

KYhunter

Man I can't thank you enough!! And judging by your topo that you sent me, it's not as bad as what I hunt already lmao thank goodness for these mountains, I'd be fat if it wasn't for deer season