Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I feel ya Adam. Greyson is finishing up soccer at this weekends tournament. We cleaned up his form earlier this week as far as pitching. Less movement. Just raise his leg, hesitate, locate his spot, and pitch. He pitched 4 inning last night against a pretty good team. Only gave up 1 clean hit and a couple walks and couple kids reached on errors. Allowed 1 run. Coach said he was 90% strikes. They won 5-2. They're 4-1 so far in their first year of Jr Pony.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Into the last week of the regular season for Ty and Wyatt. Ty has done a great job staying committed and focused while being one of the bottom 3 teams in the division. Batting slump showed up mid-season but he's been on a tear the last 4-5 games at the plate. On the mound he held his own and learned a lot about having base runners leading off and stealing in this age group.

Behind the plate he has had a blast. A couple runners gunned down and raised to the top as the one to put on the gear when no one else wants to.

153803.jpg

153796.jpg

153801.jpg

Watching Wyatt this year hold down LCF has been fun. They are leading their division as they have a group of talented older kids in the the infield. Hitting wise, it's anyone's guess even tho it's the same coach pitching to him🤣. Just watching him mature in the game and attention span has been fun.

33824.jpeg
33816.jpeg
33807.jpeg
33800.jpeg

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Into the last week of the regular season for Ty and Wyatt. Ty has done a great job staying committed and focused while being one of the bottom 3 teams in the division. Batting slump showed up mid-season but he's been on a tear the last 4-5 games at the plate. On the mound he held his own and learned a lot about having base runners leading off and stealing in this age group.

Behind the plate he has had a blast. A couple runners gunned down and raised to the top as the one to put on the gear when no one else wants to.

View attachment 180011
View attachment 180010
View attachment 180009

Watching Wyatt this year hold down LCF has been fun. They are leading their division as they have a group of talented older kids in the the infield. Hitting wise, it's anyone's guess even tho it's the same coach pitching to him🤣. Just watching him mature I the game and attention span has been fun.

View attachment 180012View attachment 180013View attachment 180014View attachment 180015
Outstanding. Well done Dad.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason threw one heck of a game last week. A couple of friends from Circleville came to watch with me. We had a great time. It’s quite a thing to look at 5cent’s post, seeing his boys’ development, and then watch Mason and friends play. I remember thinking I couldn’t wait for the day he and his peers actually had the skills to play solid baseball. Sadly by the time kids get really good, for the vast majority it’s over. Enjoy every minute. Mason is scheduled to start Thursday. I hope to be there. With his future plans uncertain, it may well be the last time I see him pitch.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I missed that game, sadly. I’ll look for highlights tomorrow.
Mason threw another good game tonight. Complete game. Walked the lead off batter to start the game. That was the only walk he issued this evening. He gave up four hits, had six K’s. Not his best work but the other 8 men on the field did their jobs too. He’s playing on a collegiate travel summer team that is really relaxed. They have a bunch of kids, plenty of pitching so getting a starting roll wasn’t a certainty for him. As it turns out so far he has thrown four innings on his first start, six in his second and a complete game tonight. As I said prior, they have a bunch of quality pitching but apparently he is doing well enough to have earned his place on the hill. They have him slated to start again Sunday at Otterbein. That’s a short break so he may opt out. If not, I plan to be there.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
IMG_5746.jpeg
That’s probably a wrap. Baseball was fun. These two played against each other all through high school and together through most of Legion ball. This summer they both played for a collegiate travel team. They finished up last night with a tough loss in a championship game. Life moves on but it was fun while it lasted.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
So we are trying to decide if Cooper is ready for travel ball, we have had 3 coach's call asking him to play. He wants to play and I know he's good enough but not sure we want to make that commitment. He's only 8 and i think it's to early for kids to be playing but he loves it. Just not sure how he's gonna handle it this fall when I tell him he can't go hunting because he has baseball that day. He has tryouts Monday if I decide to let him. Savannah on the other hand doesn't have any interest in playing travel ball, she plays summer and fall ball but has been asked multiple times to travel and she just doesn't want to.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It’s your family, your decision. But I’ll give my perspective. Mason loved the game until this summer. He seemed to find it a chore whereas every game previously he couldn’t wait to get to the field. I think that’s a natural progression when you know, finally, you will never be able to do it “forever “. One reason I think he loved it for so long was that our schedule didn’t permit him to play on a lot of the “elite” travel teams. I remember him trying out for one, the coaches salivating to get him in the rotation, and his excitement at the thought of doing it. I also remember his disappointment when I told him no after looking at the schedule. It sucked at the time. In hindsight it was the right move. The majority of those “elite” 12 year olds burned out very early. He did not. He enjoyed the game all the way through.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
That's kind of where I'm at with it. I don't want to burn him out early. He's one of those kids that when he's starts something and he gets it in his head it's non stop 24/7 what he wants to do. He'll I just pulled in the drive tonight and he Is out side throwing the ball up to himself in the yard. My wife talked to the coach and he said they are only doing 5 tournaments next year so we have to talk about it, I just think 8 u travel ball is a little ridiculous. It's fun to watch him because I had the same love for the game and it brings it back a little for me now.

Reactions: brock ratcliff