Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bear blasted in Campbell, Ohio, Mahoning County.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Over the last 3-4 years, The city of Campbell has found money to hire more cops and has gotten extremely aggressive in keeping "hoodlums" from Youngstown from peddling drugs in Campbell. If you have something dangling from your mirror, you will be stopped and the drug sniffing dog will be in your vehicle.
This rookie used the excuse he was afraid this bear would attract other bears to the city.

I remember from years ago when certain officers would use their cruiser spotlight to "check" deer in the neighboring township.

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
a 200-300 pound black bear is not a cub. it is 3-4 years old and they do not stay with their mothers that long. he was most likely looking for food.

maybe this bear was tranquilized and relocated from Cleveland. lmao

It was not a 200-300lb bear. It was shown on the news last and it was a cub. When the officer was responding, a neighbor was yelling for her dogs and he decided to shoot. He says he didn't know she was yelling for dogs and thought it could have been for children.

The only thing I can say, is if you or I shoot a black bear here in Ohio, be ready to pay restitution and a fine, no matter what your reasons were.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Remember heat kid a few years back that shot hat black bear that charged him? Look at the BS he went through before they found no evidence too charge him.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It was not a 200-300lb bear. It was shown on the news last and it was a cub. When the officer was responding, a neighbor was yelling for her dogs and he decided to shoot. He says he didn't know she was yelling for dogs and thought it could have been for children.

The only thing I can say, is if you or I shoot a black bear here in Ohio, be ready to pay restitution and a fine, no matter what your reasons were.
What Dale said. this bear was a cub. it only weighed 140 pounds... And from what I heard it looked smaller than that. Barney Fife was trigger happy in my opinion.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Can't believe the national media hasn't grabbed this . After all , it was a police officer shooting a unarmed black .

Funny as hell. I was setting in the Doctor office today and the Mayor and Police Chief of Cinci was on TV explaining their 90 day plan to reduce crime in Cinci. Don't they understand crooks don't obey the law? The Mayor was not happy when the Police Chief reported all crime in Cinci is down except shooting as up 25%. If looks could kill there would have been a dead Chief there. Funny as hell.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
By the way, Leetonia, Ohio is celebrating a Bigfoot Festival this coming weekend in the "coke ovens". I hope no trigger happy cops wack a bigfoot by mistake.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
By the way, Leetonia, Ohio is celebrating a Bigfoot Festival this coming weekend in the "coke ovens". I hope no trigger happy cops wack a bigfoot by mistake.

Taking this pretty hard are ya???

Dale, not sure but I'm doubting it lol.... Those folks were all over the farm I hunt last fall..... What a treat lol....

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not a bear expert, but I've seen quite a few up close. Now I know that footage from a tv can be deceiving, but I'll bet a paycheck that bear didn't top 100#
Like I said, supposedly it looked even smaller in person but my info came from a guy looking at the scale. He even said he couldn't believe it went 140.

Guess when they're used to bear encounters they aren't so quick to drop the hammer on them LOL. Taken up in Alpena Michigan. Another bear moving into new territory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 159

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Same thing in SE Kentucky. Talked to a cousin tonight. He said they have had several recently moving into more visible areas. Nobody shooting them down there.