Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best beginner bow

krazykoolcj

US
Ok so I need some help. I am planning on buying my first bow soon. Previously I crossbow hunted, but that really doesn't take much skill and I want something more challenging. From what I've been researching it's brought me down to a bear cruzer or mission craze. Nothing I've seen puts one above the other. So if you have any experience owning either one help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dustinb80

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. Tons of great info around here, and some awesome folks here as well. Stick around, its a great place to be. Where are you located in Ohio?

krazykoolcj

US
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. Tons of great info around here, and some awesome folks here as well. Stick around, its a great place to be. Where are you located in Ohio?
Hello and thanks! I live in Clark county. I hunt Champaign and Adams and maybe some of Clark soon!

Reactions: Dustinb80

Fletch

Supporting Member
Go to a local bow shop, pick them up, handle them and shoot them... Don't go on reviews only, when you pick up the right bow you'll know it... It entirely depends how it feels in your hands... You'll know it when you handle the right one... Welcome to the site.

krazykoolcj

US
Go to a local bow shop, pick them up, handle them and shoot them... Don't go on reviews only, when you pick up the right bow you'll know it... It entirely depends how it feels in your hands... You'll know it when you handle the right one... Welcome to the site.
I have held the cruzer and it isn't bad. I can't seem to find anywhere that has the craze in store.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to TOO. Fletch's advice is the best I've heard whenever someone is shopping. I hear it pretty consistently when someone is shopping for a bow. I agree. It has to feel good in your hand.

I'll throw in my two cents. I work on a lot of bows and the "best" bows aren't so different than the "beginners" bows nowadays. Sure you may get a little more speed out of them but, a perfectly tuned slower bow kills more deer every day of the way than an untuned "fast" bow. Anyways. Sorry went on a tangent. Here are a couple things I'll recommend:

1. Shoot a lot of bows. Every make. Model and style you can get your hands out. You'll know it when you shoot it.

2. Since it's your first bow I'd recommend getting something very adjustable as far as draw length and weight. That way you can custom fit that bow to you without having to buy new cams or limbs. Bear, PSE, Bowtech all make very adjustable stuff. (Not endorsing anything. I shoot a Hoyt & Elite. Lol)

3. Once you find that bow that "fits" you best, make sure to get a decent set of arrows, with the correct spine and getem cut correctly to fit your bow. No offense to anyone but don't expect to get great accuracy out of standard cut Wally World arrows. Easton, Bloodsport, Black Eagle, Carbon Express to name a few are solid brands.

4. Learn your bow like you know the back of your hand and learn how to do tune it yourself. YouTube and a good bow shop can show you a lot. This will make you much more proficient at your equipment and greatly help with headaches when things aren't acting right.

Anyways. Sorry for the long draw out post. Don't hesitate to ask anyone here if you need any help! Good luck brother!