Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blue Rock State Park

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
J, i noticed the effects too. Only I didn't know what had happened, I just assumed there was a nasty storm that blew through. With all the clear cutting going on over the last 5 years or so I guess though, they have ridiculous amounts of cover to hide in.

Sounds about right Phil. I've seen probably 30 deer while on stand, over 3 years? I've managed to shoot the two biggest bucks I've seen on stand, one 110, one 120. There is a group of Jersey guys I have run into the last 3 years out there. They have been going there for 8 or so years now, now mostly hunting private farms around the area. They said they resorted to asking for permission after year after year after year of the hunting getting worse and worse. The one guy said since they started the clear cutting, the hunting has gotten awful. Deer disappeared from every spot they used to hunt, so they stopped hunting it. The caveat to it all though, I think it might be the single best spot to kill a lifetime deer on, far as public goes. It's definitely in the top 10 as far as Ohio Public. The terrain is tough as nails, and they have forever to hide in, or paths to take. Those same guys have all given accounts of seeing 140 plus deer in there, one guy telling me about a double drop club buck that had to be 180-200. My old bosses son killed a 219 on their private not more than a mile from the park. The genetics are there and the ability to grow old is certainly there. Like I also said, I can't attest to the gun numbers, but over the last 3 years, I've never seen more than 4 groups in camp there. Most trucks I saw was 5, and that is across the entire 4500 acres. I'll never mention where I hunt to people on a big board like AT.