Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow#2

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks fellas. My supplies got here today so we can now move forward with our bows. I actually need to order a couple more things for my limbs but Im not ready to build limbs. Going to drop off stuff to Greg on Wednesday. He has a little deadline to meet so we need to get his a string on it soon

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg

Basic riser shaping today.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
View attachment 29074

Basic riser shaping today.

Do you sand the riser down to a set goal(dimensions) or do you stop sanding till you reach whatever feels perfect in "your" hand? In other words do you customize it for yourself or for and average sized hand? Prolly a dumb question! Lol

Doing something like building a bow I think would be somewhat stressful knowing if you sand too much or cut off too much you have to start all over wasting time,money and materials. Has this ever happened to anyone much and do you stress much over it?

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have a template or pattern that I can follow for cutting on the band saw. I'm not so nervous any more. My first one a was for sure but having that under my belt I'm less concerned. Glue up are stressful. This riser had a few imperfections I do t care for but I think I can work them out. I post all of this stuff so you guys can see this is doable by anyone if you have the desire. There is tons of sanding Ric but you want that for final shaping. I prefer to cut and sand by feel than pattern for the grip area. I did grip work today but forgot a pic. We will be tapping this riser for bolts and doing limbs next weekend I'm sure of it. Lots of glueing happening next as I work on my spalted riser.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Some updates. Greg and I hit together this weekend to work on these some more. I finally got my limbs in the oven. Here is a pic of my limbs once i got the tape off. image.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Greg is further along with his bows. We mounted limbs and alignment pins yesterday. He began tiller and string tracking. Here is his. He has tape on his also until the limbs are done and ready to spray and seal. image.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice! On a side note since you have all this time now. I have 4 compounds to bring you. Lol. I'll send you a PM with the models and what needs done so we can get strings ordered etc.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
My other limb is in the oven and will be done in the morning. Once I can get some more free time I will get a chance to mount the limbs and shape them. Still a lot to go on mine and Greg's should be ready soon.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I know I posted the spalted maple now on here but that's going to happen this winter. Doubt I will have time to get that done. I have to soak it in a wood hardener for a month and let it dry before I can proceed with it.