Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bowfishing rig?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
cleaning out the closet today, i found my old Bear Kodiak Magnum compound. Not sure how old it is, late 70s early 80s i would imagine. Anyway, I'm thinking of making a bowfishing rig out of it. What all would i need? it doesnt have a rest, sight, peep... nothing. There is a tap for a stabilizer and a rest though. best i can figure, i would need a reel, and a fishing arrow. Do you typically need a rest? or shoot off the shelf.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jake (Carpn) is down in LA right now shooting fish so he may not be able to respond for a while. I know he sets his bows up to shoot off the shelf, though. He sculps a shallow "trough" on the shelf with some sculpting epoxy. Other than that, all you'll need is a reel and some arrows. Some no-gloves on the string might make it easier on your fingers too.

Tiny

Put this together yesterday in order to get out while I am waiting for my reel to come in. Worked fine :)

I usually use a AMS reel and Muzzy fishing arrow with the quick release but thats for the compounds. After deciding to go with the recurve, I needed to order a new barrel line holder which will screw into the accessory hole as you also have on yours. Cheap and works great :)

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
If you have a stabilizer mount and a place to mount a rest, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I honestly wouldn't worry about a sight, although a single pin might be pretty sweet if you had time to use it.