Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason, 2017

Jamie

Ohio
sorry Brock. had no intention of hijacking your journal. I can't explain why we went from squirrel hunting to bowfishing so quickly, but this is important stuff.

hopefully, the weather/water conditions allow some fish sticking this spring. if we're lucky, the best bowfishing guide on the Big Walnut will show us the way again.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Finished out the deer season this week with a doe, harvested with my dad's recurve. It's been in the family for over 57 years now and that was the first deer it's killed. Pretty special to me.
Mason and I have had a great hunting season. He wrapped his up last night by shooting a doe with his recurve. His friend was with him and videotaped the encounter since I was working. Sadly, we spent today on a fruitless search. I have no idea how we did not find the deer yet. It's sickening. Even with this unfortunate event, we have had a fantastic season and we will look back at it fondly!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should add this....

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 360

Fletch

Supporting Member
It's been said a million times... But the threads with you and Mason are the best, really enjoy reading them.. You guys really have a great thing going. Good Luck in 2018 and keep up the good work....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Two of the bucks we were hoping would make it have apparently survived! The 9 that we saw and passed several times has dropped at least one side and so has the drop tine buck!

Attachments

• IMG_1767.PNG
    IMG_1767.PNG
    983.5 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 425

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That’s great to hear buddy! Both were studs this year so I can only think they’d get bigger. Hope you guys find the mates to those sheds already found, good luck.(y)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oops. Forgot the story. Dad mentioned the other day that he had never seen a bird dog in action. So, I took him and my brother out to my buddy's preserve today. We borrowed the Gator to get dad around since his legs do not function as well as they once did. Today was the first time in probably 30 years the three of us have chased critters together. Dads trusted Wingmaster still works too.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We killed 7 of the 8 birds we had planted. Ruger worked great, aside from flushing one when we first started. He was just too excited to be out again. That dog is amazing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is something I am jealous of. My dad never hunted with me. My brother will likely never hunt with me. He'd be more likely to shave his legs than field dress a deer. Not that he's gay. Just not a hunter.

Reactions: brock ratcliff