Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster's Adventures

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read Ben! Can't believe I missed your previous post on the 25th about Ron's great fortune! That's a dandy 9! Congrats to your buddy, heck of a deer!
Great pics man! Like Brock, I like the captions along with the pics. Pretty cool names of each pic TOO! Thanks for sharing and good luck to you this season!

Buckmaster

Portage
Halloween.jpg

Last night was family night before I leave for 10 days of Buckmaster's Adventures.

Here's my Hello Kittie and Vampire Boy Trick or Treating last night. Despite the rain and wind we still had fun.

Saturday night is our other fundraiser for Children's Cancer Research. We've been working on our 3rd annual Murder Mystery Dinner. This year's theme is the Murder at the Masquerade Ball. We will raise a few thousand dollars to donate toward Cancer research.

Sunday is our end of the year football league party at the local bowling alley. We have trophies for our little guys along with pizza, pop, and bowling. Following the party I depart for Deer Camp for 10 days. My goal is to spend a lot of seat time doing 18 hunts and trying to be selective to what buck I harvest. I'm holding out for something big or with character. We shall see.

Good luck to all who venture out. May you be blessed with safe and fun hunts.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm super pumped for you Ben! Good luck and slay a beast! The heightened excitement of heading to deer camp is something I wish I could sell in a bottle! I'd be a billionaire and out hunting and not working...lol

Have a safe and successful 10 days bud!

Buckmaster

Portage
Looks like quite a season for my friend Ron.

He bagged this 5x5 in Colorado on his first morning hunt.

It was one of 75 in the herd.

Attachments

• Ron Elk.jpg
    Ron Elk.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 349

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice elk. That's a weird set of horns tho. Oh I miss elk hunting in CO. Since my onset of heart failure I got altitude sickness last time out there. That's not fun as my heart stopped beating every 4-5 beat to reset itself. I did get my 5x5 elk tho. Great memories.

Buckmaster

Portage
I logged over 40 hours of hunting this past week in 13 hunts.
In all, I had fun.

The small bucks were abundant. The bigger bucks should be making appearances this week so I'll be sure to head back to camp Thursday night to catch up on the action.

In the meantime, I'm catching up at work after being off a week.

In sum, I saw 4 decent bucks. I could have killed two but they weren't what I have idealized since I already have a pretty good collection of 120-130" 8 pointers.
They were good bucks but I can't get the big one by shooting the smaller ones.

Buckmaster

Portage
Here are a couple pictures of interesting things.

Here's the Guard at my four wheeler.

Attachments

• Lil Buck.jpg
    Lil Buck.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 327

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ben are you still trying with your recurve or did you get that done and I missed it?

Buckmaster

Portage
And how else do I spend all time in my treestand?

Just thinking, thoughts, introspection, watching God's creation, and counting my blessings.

This is one of my favorites.

Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.

1. The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Attachments

• Two Roads.jpg
    Two Roads.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 323

Buckmaster

Portage
I took a youth hunting this weekend. The story began with me buying 4 boxes of 20 gauge Remington sluggers on Weds. You know the $ 2.99 per box kind that are now $ 6.49 per box. Ouch! Anyways, I delivered them to Nick's Dad on Weds with the plan they would shoot a few on Thursday. As it turned out his Mossberg 500 didn't pattern them well from his smoothbore field barrel. Nick's Dad thought it was the "Flinch Factor". Saturday morning Nick would hunt the junk pile stand with his Horton crossbow. He got the skunk from one of our hottest tree stands. So, mid day Saturday we went to the range to try to sight his Mossberg back in. Nick, his father, and myself all shot the remaining ten slugs we had at 30 yards to no consistency off a Caldwell Lead Sled so back to the drawing board we went. Nick would hunt from the same stand with his crossbow that he killed his 8 point from two years ago. That was his first buck. This was Nick's first hunt hunting solo as his Dad was across the food plot with his Hoyt compound. So we had Nick on one side of the clover plot and his Dad on the other side. As luck would have it at 4 pm Nick was taken by surprise as a 120 inch 8 point snuck up behind him and presented a broadside shot at 20 yards but Nick wasn't ready. The buck caught some wind and quickly bounded away. At 5 pm a smaller 9 point buck enters the field splitting the difference of the 80 yards between Nick and his Dad. With the 2 inches of snow on the ground movement was easy to see as I was sitting a couple hundred yards down the woods overlooking a bedding area. This 9 point walked toward Nick and presented him with a broadside 20 yard shot. I heard "Thump" across the woods I turned my head to look toward Nick in the clover field stand and saw a deer bounding away. I quietly listen for the fall but never heard anything. I gathered my gear and climbed down because it was almost time to quit anyways. I could hear Nick and his Dad cheering with excitement from my stand two hundred yards away. I figured the deer was down. A few minutes later I enter the crime scene to examine. They had tracked up all the evidence in the snow and I couldn't tell A to Z of things. Nick did show me his bloody arrow with dark red blood. He said he made a good hit just like I showed him how. My thought was a liver shot. The arrow smelled a little fishy. I instruct them to both calm down, be quiet, and stay put as I follow the tracks in the snow leading out of the field. No blood at all. Things didn't look good. It's been about a half hour now since the shot and its now dark so with flashlights in hand we slowly proceed to follow the tracks in the snow. 100 yards out from the crime scene Nick begins to find a little blood, then we find were he had bedded. Good sign I'm thinking now. Then we find another bed, then a third. It can't be long now I'm thinking. The deer is now walking down one of our ATV paths so its easy tracking. He leads us to the nearby property line so we mark the spot and call it quits. Nick is now mad at himself for making a non lethal shot. "Will we find it Ben?", he repeatedly asks. We head back to the cabin to take a break, have a bowl of chili, and to obtain some more tracking gear. I make a phone call to the neighbor to ask permission to enter his land (he doesn't allow hunting); permission has been awarded. At 7:30 we venture back out on our tracking job dressed in lighter clothing, knee boots (because of the nearby creek), five flashlights, and a spot light. We locate where the deer had left our land, went down the high wall, then crossed the creek in the hollow bottom. The adventure continues......One hour later after covering a couple hundred more yards we find another bloody deer bed, then another, and another. I could see in the snow that deer is somewhat stumbling and takes a hard right. I shine my light onto the next bench above us and there he is. Nick explodes with excitement as the time is now 8:30. We field dress the deer, give it a bath in the creek, and prepare for upward extraction which exceeds 300 feet. We ended up dragging it down the creek bed 400 yards to an access point where we picked up the deer with a four wheeler. I was pleased we found it and before the coyotes did. We arrived back at the cabin just before 10 pm in 23 degrees. We were all tired and freezing. Nick's shot placement was right at the diaphragm (ideally 2-3 inches back from where it should have been). The Rage entered the Cage and exited through the intestine area. The intestines ended up plugging the exit hole thus no blood. Had we not had the 2 inches of snow Saturday afternoon we would of never found this deer. Our trail job consisted of 600 yards and a couple of hours. It was a fun and rewarding experience teaching a youth and his novice hunting father some helpful hunting advice. 13 year old Nick's excitement and endless hunting related questions kind of reminds me of myself at that age.

Nick's 9 point.

Attachments

• Nick's Buck.jpg
    Nick's Buck.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 314