Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Calling,rattling

00buck

Have any of you tried it yet this year if so what did you use grunt horns and what were the results

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ve been doing a little more this year then past years, seems a little early yet but been ticking them not very loudly..... That’ll change here in another week for me....

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I’ve had a lot of success grunting in early season. Rattling is a completely different story. My rattle sequence must say “danger, danger” and it doesn’t matter what time of year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ve had a lot of success grunting in early season. Rattling is a completely different story. My rattle sequence must say “danger, danger” and it doesn’t matter what time of year.

I’m with you there, that’s why I never did it much... Grunting I can get the little ones all day, bigger boys would probably flip me off if they’d have fingers....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't rattle much, I don't think I rattled once last year. I will grunt at bucks though if I see them heading in the other direction.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Rattling pre rut has worked decent for me. Last years buck was rattled in on Oct.30 after 5 minutes in the stand. I will add this though, I tend to fool younger bucks more often. I have only successfully rattled in two mature deer. One is on the wall and the other hung up just out of range.

djohn9713

I have a decent set of antlers from a buck 3 seasons ago. How long before antlers start to sound "hollow?" I was planning to let my son rattle some this weekend.

pathfinder

Piketon
I've rattled in/killed three nice bucks over the years on Ohio State/Mich game day. I've found that making ground noise even if its a rope tied to a limb in brush makes all the difference having a buck respond.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Have only rattled in small bucks. I have grunted in some nice bucks over the years. I grunted about 10 minutes before the buck I shot Saturday showed up looking into my food plot. Did the grunting bring him I don't know but I hope so?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some of it has to do with the attitude of the deer. I rattled in the biggest buck I've killed. I've had zero response. Probably had responses at times, good or bad, but never saw the deer to know how it worked. Rattled over the weekend and 10min later had a beautiful young buck come in to investigate. He wasn't bristled up and looking for a fight. He was curious more than anything. Some guys swear against it. Some guys love rattling. There are times it is effective and I'm certain there are times it is not effective. I doubt I'd try rattling in January. In the early season I may try some really light rattling if I know there is bachelor group in the area. It is not uncommon for them to spar lightly. During the rut I will bang the crap out of the antlers. As someone said, making noise on the ground with some stomping and leaves moving around helps. A designated guy on the ground to rattle, stomp, and blow a grunt tube would make it more realistic.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Sometimes I connect by bow rope up to my rattling horns and lower them to the ground and just "pull and drop" repeatedly on the ground floor. If you have decent leaf coverage it makes a pretty good racket.