Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CCW few quesitons

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have had my CCW for months, but just bought my first pistol.

I bought a springfield armory 45 XDS. Wow what a sweet gun for CCW, it does bark cause of the small frame, but I shot the piss out of it with no problems and hands werent sore at all.

What do you all reccomend as far as a good self defense load? I bought some federal hollow points, but I am also curious as to what would be good to carry in the woods, say a bear came at you or something along those lines. Would a hollow point be a bad choice?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I always carry hollow points in mine regardless of the situation. As far as a good load for 45, I will let some of the experts chime on that since I do not own one.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If you seriously wanting a .45 ACP load for a bear it would probably be a 230 gr. FMJ or a hard cast flat point. I would think you'd want penetration. Remember for a self defense round for humans 6-8" of penetration of mostly soft tissue will get to vitals, on a bear coming straight at you if you don't hit the CNS you might need 2 ft to get to the vitals.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep what Sam said for bears. Buffalo Bore has some REALLY hot .45

I am a Remington Golden Sabre and Winchester Ranger fan for just about any caliber in HP's.

I'd carry 230gr .45 fmj in that case.

On a side note on automatic bear defense handguns. I know a few people that carry the 10mm Glocks in this neck of the woods. The Glock 20 (15 rounds) and 29 (10 rounds) are light wieght reliable and carry as much if not more than most .45 acp pistols. BTW a hot 10mm is only 200fps slower than a .357 mag. A lot of people dismiss the 10mm because of price per round but if your already looking at hot .45 loads the differance is almost nonexistent.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
FMJ for something like bear.
I like (rather the gun likes...) 165gr.+P Cor-bon JHP for daily carry. The 185 gr.+P but they do group a little diff.

Last edited: