Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chad's 2016-17 trapping thread

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Been pretty slow on the line lately minus a coon that I snared yesterday. Hopefully this snow gets the yotes moving. I had to remake the trench set today due to rain, also rebaited and lured the rest of my sets.
I drug a couple butchered out deer carcasses to the woods last Saturday and wired them to a tree. I went about 30 yards and started setting snares in the gaps in the brush. Nada has been around yet in a woods that's typically crawling with yotes. They must be laid up on a kill somewhere.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I drug a couple butchered out deer carcasses to the woods last Saturday and wired them to a tree. I went about 30 yards and started setting snares in the gaps in the brush. Nada has been around yet in a woods that's typically crawling with yotes. They must be laid up on a kill somewhere.
I have 2 carcasses out now, at least one yote is feasting on one, snared those trails the other day. They haven't found the other one yet. Found out from my buddy the other day that his buddy who traps the farm next to the one I'm on pulled his traps after a week due to no action and he's usually good for several yotes a year. I haven't been seeing much sign either other than the recent pic I got of the yote heading to one of the carcasses.

Fletch

Supporting Member
He'd spent more time in the woods with his pants down...

Damn... Now I know what the binos were for.....

Chad... All joking aside keep at the trapping... My Dad was a big trapper back before I was born.. He used to work in the coal mines of Western Pa. during the day and after work go check his trap lines after work sometimes after midnight. This all being done with a carbide lamp he wore in the mine. He probably had 100+ leg hold traps varying in size. I remember pics of foxes hanging on their stretchers. He would boil his traps in walnut peels to kill the scent. He would carry sifted dirt to use during the winter.. I remember him talking about dirt hole sets and other sets he used.. Some of his traps would have grappling hooks on them, so that when the fox ran off he would get tangled up and not get far.. So I know a little bit about trapping. When I come to Mingo I'll stop in Western Pa. and see if any of his leg hold traps are at my cousins. If they are I'll bring you a few as I'll never use them.. In New Jersey you are not allowed to have any leg hold traps... So I can't even hang one in my den for display puposes or memories of my Dad. Growing up I remember copies of Fur Fish and Game lying around... My Mom had a full length red fox coat made from foxes he caught.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Damn... Now I know what the binos were for.....

Chad... All joking aside keep at the trapping... My Dad was a big trapper back before I was born.. He used to work in the coal mines of Western Pa. during the day and after work go check his trap lines after work sometimes after midnight. This all being done with a carbide lamp he wore in the mine. He probably had 100+ leg hold traps varying in size. I remember pics of foxes hanging on their stretchers. He would boil his traps in walnut peels to kill the scent. He would carry sifted dirt to use during the winter.. I remember him talking about dirt hole sets and other sets he used.. Some of his traps would have grappling hooks on them, so that when the fox ran off he would get tangled up and not get far.. So I know a little bit about trapping. When I come to Mingo I'll stop in Western Pa. and see if any of his leg hold traps are at my cousins. If they are I'll bring you a few as I'll never use them.. In New Jersey you are not allowed to have any leg hold traps... So I can't even hang one in my den for display puposes or memories of my Dad. Growing up I remember copies of Fur Fish and Game lying around... My Mom had a full length red fox coat made from foxes he caught.
That's awesome! I'd be honored to use or display one of his traps[emoji2]

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

First one you snag...your addicted. Fair warning. Hang with it, they will come back around......

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Did you learn this through years of experience?
I believe he's somewhat correct on that. A yote will be very cautious if it gets a whiff of human scent. If he does, he might stray away from the carcass, but he'll be back. Weather also plays a huge roll in that, as do the population of yotes you have on the property. If it's freezing balls, you got six inches of snow, a lot of yotes, and you toss out a carcass where you know the yotes are at I think they will hit it almost immediately. Where I'm trapping now I haven't seen much yote sign, until today. A pair rolled through and munched on the doe carcass I've had out for over a week, I couldn't hit every trail with snares because I ran out but I do have 3 trails snared and I put in a dirt hole right off the ATV trail with yote tracks on each side of it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Pulled a few traps today. I put this walk through set in just off an alfalfa field where 2 ATV trails meet. Yote gland on each log with some yote piss.