Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Compound Bow w/ No Sights

After watching this video with Joel Turner, I've gotta try this method of shooting. :unsure:
I'm already shooting traditional bows with a string walking method, so this should be easy to adopt. The flatter trajectory of a compound should make shooting inside 30 yards with the same "hold" for a point of impact. (y)
I'll have to wait a few days for the weather to calm down, so I can shoot outside, but it should be fun. :cool:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I started out shooting compound bows instinctively. Just couldn’t keep consistent enough for my liking.

I’d have to wonder if adding more bows and now adding a compound to instinctive shooting how hard it would be to remain consistent?
It could boil down to how much time you wanted to spend with it, to attain that level of consistency to your liking. I'm certain it wouldn't be as good as using a sight. The detail of a single pin allows the shooter to gain that edge. (y)

I absolutely love shooting a recurve and/or longbow with a string walking method. It has greatly improved my accuracy, over other methods that I've tried. Shooting a compound without sights would be very similar to the accuracy that I've attained with a recurve and longbow, but with flatter trajectory being the advantage. :)
Until I try it and give it a good run, I will remain skeptical, but still interested. :unsure:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Never owned a sight for a bow. Always shot instinctive. Back when I bought my Switchback XT the sales guy is setting up my poundage and draw length then hands me some arrows to shoot to try it out. I stick two side by side and he's like damn didn't even put the sights on yet. Im like your not going to either lol. Did go to a release instead of a glove though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Never owned a sight for a bow. Always shot instinctive. Back when I bought my Switchback XT the sales guy is setting up my poundage and draw length then hands me some arrows to shoot to try it out. I stick two side by side and he's like damn didn't even put the sights on yet. Im like your not going to either lol. Did go to a release instead of a glove though.
Had a buddy like that, shot instinctive whether it was a stick bow or a compound. Only thing that changed for him was switching to a release after I made him try mine. Definitely tightened his groups up some With the compound.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Good buddy of mine shoots an elite compound and has for years. All instictively. 70lbs, spitfire release and 12 inch stabilizer with a ton of weight up front. Absolutely incredible how persistent and accurate he is with it. He has 8/9 years of practice with that bow and says he will never switch to shooting through a peep and sight.