Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cuddeback Cuddelink

Ok. I have had these cameras for a few weeks. The jury is still out on these as I have to see what the battery life and such is.

Here is what I bought. With being a member I ordered these on a double discount and free shipping. Only paid about $620 for the 4 pack.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...camera-4-pack?a=2170827&_br_psugg_q=cuddeback

For those that don't know the system, bascially it takes pics and sends them all back to a home camera. From the home camera you can check all of the images from all cameras. The one's from the remote camera will be a thumbnail. If you want the full size pic then you have to go to the camera.

One con to these is that the setup is a little involved. There is a ton of options on these cameras. The instructions are good though, but there is an order in which you have to deploy the cameras. Once you learn how it works it really isn't that bad. At first though it seems complicated. They could improve the "user friendly" features of this camera.

Also I had one bad camera in the 4 pack. It took constant pictures even without being triggered. Cuddeback did replace it and paid for the shipping.

The home camera was setup at the cabin basically as a survelence. It didn't take any pics except me when I checked it. Below is a couple of pics of the thumbnails from the remote cameras. You can definitely look at the pics and see what you are getting on cameras.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

It also has a pic for each camera that give you the status when you check the home camera. You can also check the status thru the camera too.

So far I am happy with them. This will work well for camp as I can check the cams from the cabin when I arrive on Friday or Saturday night without having to disturb anything. It will also keep from as much intrusion during the summer for cam checks.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You'll have to keep us updated as the year progresses. I really like the concept of these from what I've read up on & the fact that you don't need to intrude to check your areas. My big concern is how long these will hold up & if one konks out, how will that affect overall performance. Good luck & keep us updated !

Reactions: at1010
You'll have to keep us updated as the year progresses. I really like the concept of these from what I've read up on & the fact that you don't need to intrude to check your areas. My big concern is how long these will hold up & if one konks out, how will that affect overall performance. Good luck & keep us updated !
Each camera works to the home camera. So if one konks out the others will still transmit to home. If the home camera konks out the other cameras still keep the images on their own camera. You can setup a camera as a repeater if you want to extend the range then the remote camera sends back to it and it sends it home. If it is a repeater though it doesn't take pics. They are supposed to be coming out with a repeater later this year that is cheaper so you don't have to use a camera.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Awesome concept. What is the transmission range of the cameras back to the home camera? Any idea how they do with obstructions? i.e. hilly terrain

Ok. Update on these cameras. They do work as advertised, but the battery life sucks in these thing. I am not using lithium but with Duracell alkaline I get about 6 or 7 weeks out of a set of batteries. They work very well at camp and do keep me from intruding on the property to check cameras. Like I mentioned in the 1st post about them too is that they aren't the most user friendly cameras in the world also.

If they can come up with the same system but improve battery life then it would be alot better.

There are a couple Facebook pages I follow where guys have been using them and they say the same thing. Some of them are using an external battery with solar panel to make them maintenance free. They also did come out with the cellular version you can use as your home unit and have pics sent to you. Glad they are working well for you otherwise!

Reactions: cspot

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Stop using alkaline batteries in trail cams like these, folks. If your goal is to use a camera that gives you the ability to stay out of an area, why hamstring yourself by using alkaline batteries? Because they're cheaper? It defeats the whole purpose. Now I don't know how lithiums would improve your battery life with these cuddebacks... Maybe they wouldn't... But I bet they'd help. I've been running 4 spypoint cell cams since August 5th, non-stop, and they transfer photos 12 times per day... Energizer ultimate lithium... And today, all 4 cameras are still reading 100% battery life. Just sayin.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree with lithiums. Just the same, with lithiums, they'll pretty much read 100% until the minute they die. I guess I have a love / hate relationship with them. Ya just don't know when they're gonna peter out...lol.

On another note, doesn't one of the Cudde units need take D batteries & the othesr AA ?

Last edited:
Reactions: cspot
Stop using alkaline batteries in trail cams like these, folks. If your goal is to use a camera that gives you the ability to stay out of an area, why hamstring yourself by using alkaline batteries? Because they're cheaper? It defeats the whole purpose. Now I don't know how lithiums would improve your battery life with these cuddebacks... Maybe they wouldn't... But I bet they'd help. I've been running 4 spypoint cell cams since August 5th, non-stop, and they transfer photos 12 times per day... Energizer ultimate lithium... And today, all 4 cameras are still reading 100% battery life. Just sayin.

The issue is with eating money up with batteries. The intrusion to change isn’t bad every 6 weeks because they are along logging roads that I mow or during hunting season that I walk. I intend to try lithium’s but was using up a bunch of Duracell’s that I got on sale. In my experience with regular trail cameras the lithium’s last longer but from the cost perspective were about the same since they cost more.

I agree with lithiums. Just the same, with lithiums, they'll pretty much read 100% until the minute they die. I guess I have a love / hate relationship with them. Ya just don't know when they're gonna peter out...lol.

On another note, doesn't one of the Cudde units need take D batteries & the othesr AA ?
They have an optional piece that lets you use d batteries instead of AA I got one but they didn’t seem to last much longer than the AA. It is only 6 D vs 12 AA so the batteries may be a touch cheaper.

There are a couple Facebook pages I follow where guys have been using them and they say the same thing. Some of them are using an external battery with solar panel to make them maintenance free. They also did come out with the cellular version you can use as your home unit and have pics sent to you. Glad they are working well for you otherwise!
If I had cell service there I would have it or more likely I would have bought a couple covert cell cameras to start with.

Reactions: Big_Holla
Ok. Here is an update on the Cuddelink with batteries. Finally I am doing a real test. I will update as the cameras die.

First is the home camera. It says 0 images because I keep clearing it's card. It doesn't count the pics that it receives, but has received all the pics from the other camera. This camera takes few pics as I now have it on my back porch so I can check it without putting on a coat or boots. LOL. 22 days and the battery level is still good. This has lithium AA batteries.

Next is a camera that I bought the optional battery pack that takes D batteries. As you can see it died after 430 images and 14 days. The batteries are alkaline as I don't think they make lithium D's?

Next camera has the lithium AA batteries. This camera is set on a trail so it doesn't take ton of pictures. Wanted to see how long it will last.

Last camera has the lithium AA batteries. So far this camera has taken over 800 images and has been going for 22 days.

Reactions: giles and Sgt Fury