Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Curran's 2017 - 2018 season

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I was doing so good with updates this year then it all fell apart, lol...

Well, Caleb and I hunted somewhat hard during gun season but never was able to get him connected on a deer. The one farm we hunted is a buck only property (per the landowner) and of course we saw a few does while we were out. Good teaching moment though. You've got to play by the rules if you want invited back.

e_DSC_0777 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

During the weekend of gun season we ventured back down to SE Ohio and hunted public ground near by buddy's cabin. We saw a far off doe and tried a stalk but never ended up seeing her. It was a fun attempt anyway, watching him take the lead and try to sneak through the woods to where we though we could intersect her and get a shot. All the fun, none of the mess.

Here was our morning set up. At least it looked good...

DSC_0785 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

After our unsuccessful spot and stalk...

DSC_0790_e by Sean Curran, on Flickr

In the afternoon we moved to a new area and thought we found a good luck charm on the way in... at least the Buckeyes won that night...

DSC_0795 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

Pano shot of the flat we were covering. Plenty of sign, just no sightings while we were there...

DSC_0800 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Later in December we shifted back to bowhunting. He was hungry for a deer and had been practicing so I was comfortable with a 20 yard or closer shot for him. We set a blind up and started putting corn out to try and bring them in close for a shot. Our first evening didn't produce even though we were getting regular daylight pictures of deer coming in to feed...

DSC_0803 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

We might as well take cool pictures while we're out...

DSC_0812_bw by Sean Curran, on Flickr

We hunted over Christmas break once, then again on New Year's Day which was cold as heck! He toughed it out, but it just seemed like we couldn't time it right. The deer weren't coming into the field daily, just every couple days and always on the days we weren't hunting. Oh well...

DSC_0781_e by Sean Curran, on Flickr

DSC_0785_e2 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

DSC_0792 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
The rest of the season was pretty lackluster. Work travels picked up in January and we didn't put the time and effort into scouting birds like usual so I turned my efforts toward trying to catch a couple coyotes. John and Brian helped show me the ropes on where and how to set up some snares so the last few weeks have been spent enjoying that pursuit. I ended up catching two males over the last 10 days, and can see myself getting more into trapping next year.

e2_DSC_0998 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

e_DSC_1110 by Sean Curran, on Flickr

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Share more!

Lol... I gotta get to bed. 5:00 am comes early.

I will though. It just gets busy and I forget. Today I was cleaning up some pictures and remembered, "Oh crap, I don't remember where I left off on my TOO journal." I kinda half-ass caught up which is better than I did last year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Great update Shawn, your knack for picture taking and gift behind the keyboard make for some really great reading...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great finish to your season hunting with your son Sean! We’re watching Caleb grow up fast and becoming a well taught young hunter. Huge kudo’s to you both. Awesome photos TOO Sean! You sure capture some cool moments!:smiley_clap:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great finish to your season hunting with your son Sean! We’re watching Caleb grow up fast and becoming a well taught young hunter. Huge kudo’s to you both. Awesome photos TOO Sean! You sure capture some cool moments!:smiley_clap:

Time sure goes by quick, doesn’t it? John and I were hunting along a river Saturday morning which also happened to be the same river that I first took Caleb hunting on when he was like 3 or 4? I have a picture from that hunt (imaging that, lol) sitting on my nightstand. Caleb all bundled up with a juice box and snacks, Timber right next to him wondering where the birds are. That hunt seems like it was only yesterday, but now Caleb’s growing into a young man and Timber is growing into an old dog. Both of those things sadden me a bit, but that’s life, and why we should all make the most of the moments we get.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
So you got up at 0500 and still haven’t found time?! You need to think about quitting your job, sir.

I know man, it’s pathetic. This work stuff is overrated... my 10 minute lunch is over. Now I have to go to a 1:30 Meeting followed by a 3:00 Meeting, then finish a proposal due at the end of the week. Are the fish biting anywhere yet? Lol.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
time sure goes by quick, doesn’t it? John and i were hunting along a river saturday morning which also happened to be the same river that i first took caleb hunting on when he was like 3 or 4? I have a picture from that hunt (imaging that, lol) sitting on my nightstand. Caleb all bundled up with a juice box and snacks, timber right next to him wondering where the birds are. That hunt seems like it was only yesterday, but now caleb’s growing into a young man and timber is growing into an old dog. Both of those things sadden me a bit, but that’s life, and why we should all make the most of the moments we get.

amen brother!