Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Rifle Advice

Buckeyehunter59

Columbus
Hey guys,

Want to get a new rifle for this deer season. currently looking at the CVA 45/70 (since its only like $250) and the Ruger American in 450. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Leaning toward the CVA from a pure cost point of view but really like the ruger as well.

Thanks,

Adam

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No history or experience with either of rifles you mentioned but I’m sure someone here that has will chime in soon.

WELCOME TO TOO, BTW(y)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Six in one and a half dozen the other. The 460 is the hot new sexy round on the market but I doubt it ever achieves the following of the 45-70. With that said you can find a lot of factory loaded 45-70 on the shelf from low-pressure rounds for old guns to new "fast" Hornady rounds. The 45-70 is far more likely to pass the map dot test which is pick any dot on a map and you can probably find ammo on a store shelf somewhere. The 460, on the other hand, will be a little harder to find. They're both solid 200 yard guns and that's about where they'll live for hunting no matter the load. So really it comes down to personal preference.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I own the ruger 450. I love the gun. I saved up cabelas gift cards and didn’t pay a dime for it. It’s a tack driver!

Ive shot 45-70s for years. I also enjoy that rifle and plan to own my own someday as well.

My advice. Buy one, save up. Buy another.

Reactions: 5Cent

Fletch

Supporting Member
I hunt deer with a Remington 700 Classic chambered in 35 Whelen... But that won't help ya in Ohio...

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I have 3 CVA’s in 35 whelen. It’s the same ballistics as a 30-06 w a 200 grn Bullet. These guns shoot better than I can and the design of the stock helps w recoil. We use them as “mussel loader” hunts during primitive season.

Asa.garand

Buddy of mine has a Ruger 450. It's pretty handy and short. It blows big holes in deer though. He is going back to his 45-70 with light loads.

Reactions: Jackalope

Mooosie

I hunted , no pun intended, until I found an 1895 marlin with the JM stamp in 4570. I love it[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk