Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Ticks

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Was out shed hunting yesterday with my dad and younger son. When we got into the truck I noticed a deer tick crawling on my jeans. My dad then found two on him and Klay found one on him. This got me thinking about the harsh winter we've had and if it would've/should've knocked the tick population down. This article is pretty interesting.

Also, one of my stand locations has me going through one section of high weeds before I get into the woods.. IN the fall I'd sit in the stand and pick the ticks off after I sat down. And that was after we had already had that snow during the rut. We went through this same location yesterday. Little buggers survived.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/03/19/outdoors/experts-say-cold-winter-likely-wont-kill-maines-ticks/?ref=mostReadBoxNews

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Rotten little buggers... So if the temps were the same as we had but no snow cover it would of been better suited too kill a lot of them off from what I gather????

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I picked a deer tick off my wrist that must've embedded himself overnight in the fall. That little fugger hurt! Regular ticks, no problem. Deer ticks come with some pain. Two days worth of pain all the way up to my elbow. Luckily, I didn't get the tell tale red mark that indicates possible lyme disease. A co-worker had to get treatments for lyme this past fall though. He got it on the elbow and had a nasty mark, the ol bullseye, and it spidered out.

Time to slash and burn!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mike, you have the availability too cut a path with a weed whacker too your stand area too limit the tall stuff you have too walk thru? Might also funnel them toward you....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I know I let a couple of my dogs out to play, over a week ago, and had to pull a tick off. I've never had ticks on my dogs this early in the year before. Makes me think it is going to be an extra bad year for the suckers.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Damn thats bad news!!! I was hoping the cold would have killed them also. Growing up as a kid we never had ticks around and now we get them just being in the yard. I hate them little sumbitches!!!!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ticks suck. I got bit by a deer tick July 2012 and still get pain in my leg where it bit me and had the bullseye but the blood tes'st keep coming back negative for lyme which is good but the tests are not very accurate. Now when I am looking for sheds or anything else I tape my pant legs and where long sleeves and use a lot of spray and it seems to help.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I picked off at least 8 of them tiny fuggars on me this weekend! Two were embedded before I found them and the others were just crawling. Picked them up in honeysuckle patches so beware people! I hope I don't have any in my hair! They are so small and a couple were the size of a flea!

Anyone ever use the Sawyer Permethrin for your clothing? We used it last year on our jeans when we were planting and brush hogging and it really seemed to work. My buddy had a tick on his jeans and it looked like it was trying to get off right away. The way you use it is to treat clothing with it and try not to wash it much. When I just did a search to remember how to spell it I found there is also a cream that you can get to apply to your skin and hair. Thinking that may be another must buy for us this year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Anyone ever use the Sawyer Permethrin for your clothing? We used it last year on our jeans when we were planting and brush hogging and it really seemed to work. My buddy had a tick on his jeans and it looked like it was trying to get off right away. The way you use it is to treat clothing with it and try not to wash it much. When I just did a search to remember how to spell it I found there is also a cream that you can get to apply to your skin and hair. Thinking that may be another must buy for us this year.

I need to check that out. I swear those bastards come running for me when I hit the woods.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Same stuff we used too treat our uniforms before deployment too he desert.... Stuff dose work well on ALL types of critters.... Treat your clothes a few times before you wear hem and leave a day or two in between.... Don't wash until you have too....

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Same stuff we used too treat our uniforms before deployment too he desert.... Stuff dose work well on ALL types of critters.... Treat your clothes a few times before you wear hem and leave a day or two in between.... Don't wash until you have too....

Yep, military uses it for a reason. I prefer the high % deet, just don't get it in your mouth! rub your eyes or scratch your nuts before washing your hands.