Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY Minerals: Part II

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The best places are secluded with water close by. Deer will spend a good bit of time at the site, so they want to feel secure. The thicker the area, the better IMO. I also try to position them close to water. If you have something salty, what's the first thing you want? A drink! Deer are no different.

Stressless

Keene, OH
It's that time of year folks. I'm loading up on materials this weekend to freshen up 8 sites next week. I like getting it from my local AG supplier. Cliff notes are below.

New site 1 part = 50#, established site 1 part = 25# No need to premix or add "flavors" unless you want to.

Site - travel corridor/main path intersections, between plots or major food areas, semi-moist but not flowing water

Prep your area, new or established. Remove leaves branches, dig (shovel or mattock, I prefer a mattock) 4" deep, 3-4' round to loosen soil , break up clumps.
Pour 3/4 of the total into the 3-4' circle, work into loosened soil with tool.
Pour remaining 1/4 on top

Mix:
2 Parts Trace Mineral Salt
1 Part Stock Salt
1 Part Di-Calcium Phosphate

I've been adding a 50# trace mineral block with selenium on top, like a big brown cherry, as well - not required just what I've been doing as the area I'm in is selenium poor. Every little bit helps the Doe get her little fawns off to a great start!

IMG_0773 mineral.JPG

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yeh I was looking up Lucky Bucky and came across a thread on The Ohio Outdoorsman from years ago that mentioned bowhunter1023 had a DIY mix....

Reactions: Big_Holla

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Just went to 2 farm supply stores and nobody has even heard of di-calcium phosphate. I did get the other 2 ingredients though. Any recommendations on where to get the di calcium phosphate? I was at family farm and home and Midwood. Both large supply stores. Nobody knew what the stuff was.

Reactions: Dustinb80

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just went to 2 farm supply stores and nobody has even heard of di-calcium phosphate. I did get the other 2 ingredients though. Any recommendations on where to get the di calcium phosphate? I was at family farm and home and Midwood. Both large supply stores. Nobody knew what the stuff was.
Got a feed mill close by? That’s a good spot too check.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I've had the same issue, used mono instead. Seems to be fine

Fletch

Supporting Member
My friend found a place in Pa. that ordered it for him, so he picked me up a bag... Seems hard to get...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Places that really deal in cattle feed and farming supplies usually have it, like @"J" said most feed mills I have checked at have it. TSC and Farm & Fleet usually don't.
Yeh... I tried 3 TSC stores, none had it...