Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lulu ain't worth a shit as a hunting dog, but she's turned in to a fantastic member of the pack. She was 18 months on Christmas and her obedience far surpasses Remi's when he was twice her age. We have a few more kinks to work out with her pissing/shitting in the garage if she's in there too long, but she won't do it in the crate or the house, so it's a compromise for now. She's also a little excitable when people come over, but won't jump. Just wants to get in your space and shove a nose in your crotch, especially chicks. She has a natural instinct to mark and break for a retrieve, but isn't interested in picking much up. I've not spent any time with her on that, so I deserve some of the blame on this not developing. I've also been able to train her without a collar because she's so treat driven. Remi gave two shits about treats, but hated being shocked. Even at 10.5, he'll hear the sound of that collar/remote and flinch. rotflmao

I have a life long buddy with a real stud of a hunting dog. He's full English lab (black) from Iowa and has strong hunting lines. Lulu should be in heat around November next year, so she'll be visiting my buddy's dog during that time. With her obedience and his hunting instinct, and pick of litter for me, I get my next male and a dog to take over where Remi left off. We'll be in the "new" house by then and the girls will be old enough to tag along and help with training. Lining up to be a nice chain of events.

Been a long evaluation, but we ended up with another good dog. Really one of life's joy and I feel sorry for people who can't know the joy, or don't understand it. Our pack is thankful for our new edition!

lul123017.jpg

Wmiller07

Lulu ain't worth a shit as a hunting dog, but she's turned in to a fantastic member of the pack. She was 18 months on Christmas and her obedience far surpasses Remi's when he was twice her age. We have a few more kinks to work out with her pissing/shitting in the garage if she's in there too long, but she won't do it in the crate or the house, so it's a compromise for now. She's also a little excitable when people come over, but won't jump. Just wants to get in your space and shove a nose in your crotch, especially chicks. She has a natural instinct to mark and break for a retrieve, but isn't interested in picking much up. I've not spent any time with her on that, so I deserve some of the blame on this not developing. I've also been able to train her without a collar because she's so treat driven. Remi gave two shits about treats, but hated being shocked. Even at 10.5, he'll hear the sound of that collar/remote and flinch. rotflmao

I have a life long buddy with a real stud of a hunting dog. He's full English lab (black) from Iowa and has strong hunting lines. Lulu should be in heat around November next year, so she'll be visiting my buddy's dog during that time. With her obedience and his hunting instinct, and pick of litter for me, I get my next male and a dog to take over where Remi left off. We'll be in the "new" house by then and the girls will be old enough to tag along and help with training. Lining up to be a nice chain of events.

Been a long evaluation, but we ended up with another good dog. Really one of life's joy and I feel sorry for people who can't know the joy, or don't understand it. Our pack is thankful for our new edition!

View attachment 58770

Not sure if it will work for your dog but I hunt pigeons in the off season and really helped. They are a smaller bird and less intimidating for them to pick up.

twireman

Kingston, OH

We've had Penny a year now. She is crazy about fetch and tennis balls. I dont hunt birds anymore so she is strictly a house dog.... she is great with the kids and our old dog is tolerable with her .

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Last night I put the dogs out didn't notice there collars were dead. Well they stayed out all night don't know where they went I went looking this morning couldn't even find there tracks where they left the yard. Well about 1 today ruger came back but no Diego. I'm all tore up I can't find him anywhere im just hoping he got picked up I'm gonna call the shelter tomorrow and stop at a couple neighbors houses. He's never been one to stay away if he did leave the yard at all.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You’d think they’d get done with their business and back in, but from local social media it’s been a banner week for dogs taking off.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Yep I found him luckily a good hearted guy driving seen him and picked him up. I left on lunch and picked him up. They guy was driving from Columbus the other day and seen him he works around here and brought him back today to work and contacted the shelter just as I was calling. I offered him money but he wouldn't take it said he's just glad he found his home.

Jamie

Ohio
congrats on getting your dog back. it's one thing to have your dog run off for a day or two, but a whole other thing in the kind of weather neither man nor beast in these parts is accustomed to. dodged a bullet. happy for you and your dog.