Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite foot hold sets

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
http://www.nobslures.com
I bought the K9 Jr's

I sold my fleshing knife and bought 2 of these traps, been hearing good things about them. Probably still won't catch any yotes though lol. More traps equals more chances I guess, so I'll keep at it. I really like setting traps, just wish I could catch a fuggin yote instead of coon.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm about to get started as soon as shit gets cold again. Never caught one, but had Taylor come down and school me one day. I can get it done if I just put in the time. With my new gig, I can consistently monitor traps now.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm about to get started as soon as shit gets cold again. Never caught one, but had Taylor come down and school me one day. I can get it done if I just put in the time. With my new gig, I can consistently monitor traps now.
I've been putting in the time, but getting schooled lol. Rick kindly sent me a couple trapping books, one of them is canines 2000 which I've been wanting to read. I've asked my buddy a few times over the last 2 years if he'd come out and help me, seems like he doesn't want to share his knowledge. Could be that I'm trapping right next door to a farm that one of his best friend's traps, idk. Either way it looks like this will be like hunting and I'll have to learn from TOO, YouTube, and good ol' trial and error.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Some of the most important parts is what you will learn on your own. I have been told to keep at it~~that once you get it, it gets easier and more routine.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Some of the most important parts is what you will learn on your own. I have been told to keep at it~~that once you get it, it gets easier and more routine.
That's what I was thinking also. I can already tell I'm getting better at bedding traps, scent control, and speed. It'll come in time I guess.

Diablo54

Outside
I've been putting in the time, but getting schooled lol. Rick kindly sent me a couple trapping books, one of them is canines 2000 which I've been wanting to read. I've asked my buddy a few times over the last 2 years if he'd come out and help me, seems like he doesn't want to share his knowledge. Could be that I'm trapping right next door to a farm that one of his best friend's traps, idk. Either way it looks like this will be like hunting and I'll have to learn from TOO, YouTube, and good ol' trial and error.

Trappers don't like to share their secrets or ways of doing things. Takes a serious friendship and trust to break the ice and be allowed to learn from someone who really knows what they are doing. I was lucky in my regards of learning from who I would call a master trapper. Whether he wants to call himself that or not. I spent a year just watching before I put any steel in the ground with him.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Trappers don't like to share their secrets or ways of doing things. Takes a serious friendship and trust to break the ice and be allowed to learn from someone who really knows what they are doing. I was lucky in my regards of learning from who I would call a master trapper. Whether he wants to call himself that or not. I spent a year just watching before I put any steel in the ground with him.
I figured that, maybe next time I'll tell him he can't sit in my stand at a farm we both have permission on, tired of doing favors in hopes of getting a couple lessons.

Last edited:

Blan37

SW Ohio
I figured that, maybe next time I'll tell him he can't sit in my stand at a farm we both have permission on, tired of doing favors in hopes of getting a couple lessons.

Have you checked out Ohio State Trappers Association? Those guys don't have any problems sharing their knowledge. They have region meets and workshops. Might want to check them out.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Have you checked out Ohio State Trappers Association? Those guys don't have any problems sharing their knowledge. They have region meets and workshops. Might want to check them out.
I joined their page on Facebook and they seem pretty helpful. Sounds like it's worth checking out. Thanks man

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It ain't favor if you expect something back...
Should of worded it differently then. Just thought that after I've helped push deer for him and his boy, given him venison, homegrown beef, 3 brand new broadheads, numerous coon, a nice yote, taken his boy turkey hunting, that just maybe he would take me out and show me the ropes instead of a half ass 5 minute fuggin lesson on bedding a trap. And all those things weren't necessarily done so that he might take me out and show me the ropes, they were done because I'm nice.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Back to trapping, it's sloppy as fugg. I'm about to pull my 3 foot holds tomorrow and looks like I won't reset til Friday due to rain. When I reset I'm about to go balls out and set all six that I have. Hopefully I'll get my two new ones in the mail this coming week, get them taken care of and in the ground by the 30th.