Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelyshedded 2014-2015 Hunting Journal

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well as hunting season approaches I figured I might as well start this journal up and start documenting some pre-season prep work. I'll be posting pics of treestand sets,clothes smoking,target practice and other things I'll be doing between now and then.
Here lately I've been doing a lot of this:

A view to the SW

I have just one more double set to hang and one solo for when we have winds out of the northerly direction then I'm good. I have an idea where I could brush in a natural ground blind set on a highwall over looking a great crick crossing that I've been catching a couple nice bucks coming through this summer.

Here is one of them

Once I get these sets done this next week or so it'll be just smoking my clothes and a few arrows shot a week checking on my form and equipment.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Philbert! Good luck to you too! Looking forward to having fun in the chase and hopefully spending quality time in the outdoors with my girls. If we kill a nice deer it's just icing on the cake...:pickle:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks good Ric hope your daughter and you each get a nice one. I have all my stands up now always put extra ones up for when my Uncle and cousin come in from California the first of Nov.. lotta work but really enjoy just being out there getting everything ready.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Got in my stand about 4:50pm and sitting over an oak flat covered with fallen acorns. Mostly Reds and Blacks but a few big Whites in here too.
Had two doe standing in the creek where I sneak on in drinking water at 4:30 but I went on in towards them hoping to push them away from my stand location which I did.
About 15 minutes ago(6:30) I caught movement about 45 yards away to the NW and saw a nice flock of hen turkeys(too many to count) start making their way pecking the ground in the standing cornfield which is about 40 yards away.
Tons of squirrel action but so far no deer from the stand. It's getting close to that magical time.

I got out of the stand at 7:40 without boogering anything on my way out. The deer just weren't there this evening.

Bucks seen:0
Does seen:0
Bb seen:0
Turkeys seen:12+
Yotes seen:0

Hours on stand:2.75
Hunting trips:1

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang I need to update but luckily not much to report. So hear it goes....

Second hunt was a morning hunt in which I bumped some deer bedded near the oak flat I was going to hunt over. It was dark but I told myself if it were a doe she'll be back soon to look for me. Sure enough after being in the stand for about an hour a doe and two nice sized yearlings came in on the scene and she was looking around as if she was looking for Waldo! She saw me long after I could have killed her three or four times as well as one of her young ones but after a 1/2 hour of snorting and head bobbing and several exits and returns she just eventually walked away frustrated I guess. In my opinion it was a win for me cuz I could have kilt her and I won the state down.

After this 3 hour hunt these three deer was all I saw but still a cool encounter.

Bucks seen 0
Does seen 3
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0

Hours on stand 5.75
Hunting trips 2

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My third hunt yielded just one small doe encounter in which she appeared to just be stretching her legs as she ran toward me from 80 yards out and cut into a standing beanfield 30 yards away with no shot available if I wanted to take one.

Bucks seen 0
Does seen 4
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0

Hours on stand 7.75
Hunting trips 3

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My hunt last night was 1.5 hours and had two encounters with a lone doe. Not sure if it was the same deer as it was about 1&1/2 hours between both encounters and both encounters were nearly identical. Also watched a coon exit his den tree and head toward the standing cornfield 40 yards to the north.

Bucks seen 0
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0

Hours on stand 9
Hunting trips 4

Shots at deer offered 5
Shots taken 0

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm sure it will. Sure is an awful lot of added pressure around me now! A buddy told me he's seen two different hunting vehicles parked off a road near the backside of the property I hunt not counting the DA that's hanging ladder stands the week before season after clear cutting swaths on light pruned trails I made this spring while turkey hunting. This guy is the poster person on how to NOT to deer hunt!!!
I hope to kill something nice early before this yaywho starts hunting a lot!

It's no secret that our deer numbers are down but seeing all the extra pressure and all the treestands in every stand of timber when shed hunting this past spring along with very little footage on 3 different cameras I've had out the majority of this year speaks volumes!

I'll still be out there enjoying the outdoors though:smiley_coolpeace:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know the feeling! It makes you wonder why a deer would ever walk past any tree, there seems to be a fella waiting on them in every thing bigger than a sapling.