Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelysheddeds 2012-2013 Bowhunting Log

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys!

Well, all settled in with no busting of deer. Have a favorable SSW wind and in the stand between to cornfields in the draw. I saw the large 3/4 moon up on my way here. Don't know if its rising or falling but don't care. Lol

Good luck to anybody hunting tonight!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's rising, but I'm betting 80 degrees and warm winter coats will keep the deer down till after sunset. But, you never know...hang with it!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah Brock you were right! Squirrels don't seem to have much problem with the heat. I was covered up with them. At one time I had 8 grays within 25 yards. Still was nice to be up in the tree though. Got 2.5 hours of me time in, that's TOO good worthy! I'll update my stats and add pics tomorrow.

This is a set that I've taken pics out of before but with all the leaves coming down since the last posting I wanted to take a few more shots. Here is my favorite set and I'm hoping for some great hunts out of it. This is the view straight into the SW which brings the wind right in to my face as I took this pic. You're looking up a thick draw separating to standing cornfields. The visibility will get much better when more leaves hit the ground but I'll need to keep my movements down as well.

Here is the view off to the East:

Here is the view to the West:

Shot my bow today and am very pleased from the 20(top) and 30(bottom) yard marks:

Hours hunted: 30.5
Does seen: 18
Bucks seen: 0
fawns or yearlings: 2
bb seen: 1
Yotes seen: 0
Shots taken: 0
Idiots seen: 3
Shot ops 9
coon seen 4
squirrels seen infinite lol

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I see the prevailing wind for the majority of the next 5 days after tomorrow night is going to be coming out of the North. Rules out all but one of my stands and might put me on the ground at some point. Winds will be strong at times as well but the deer should be moving better.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Really nice pictures, Ric. I bet there will be a lot of nice deer killed over the weekend. You might as well get your's too!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Relax. Shoot the bow. Enjoy the family. Then enjoy that prevailing wind over the weekend while the temperature drops. I think this weekend will be an amazing weekend!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Couldn't stand not knowing if this morning was the day to be in the woods. Got to bed at 4am and had my alarm set for 7. Got showered and was headed down the hill into the standing corn by 8 and got set up by 8:25. Took my time easing around the downwind sid of the furthest cornfield but bumped a few antlerless deer about 150 yards from where I wanted to be. Oh well, I hunted on the ground along a high but steep creek bank with the wind in my face or slightly in my cheek at times. Sat till 11 without any sightings but 4-5 gray squirrels. I then slipped down into the rockbottom creekbed and still hunted into the wind about 150 yards to my scrape camera. Swapped the card that had 8 videos over the past 5-6 days. Wasn't planning on swapping so soon but with rain in the forcast,minimal deer movement and being relatively close to the scrape I thought WTH. Kinda anxious to see if any of the mature bucks are hitting the scrape in the daytime. Here is what my hunting view looked like:

View to the south where there's a nice crossing:

View straight into the wind to the west into the travel corridor:

View to the north down the creek :

Here are some nuggets I got over the scrape:

Gnomer came thru last night around 11:30 PM

Ole Half Rack:

I got more of Half Rack but this was the best video. I also got a small 7 pt and and young but wide 6 pt.

Hope you enjoyed the videos.

Hours hunted: 33.5
Does seen: 20
Bucks seen: 0
fawns or yearlings: 2
bb seen: 1
Yotes seen: 0
Shots taken: 0
Idiots seen: 3
Shot ops 9
coon seen 4
squirrels seen infinite lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hunted tonight from 5:00 to 7:00. Winds were anywhere from W to NW to N to NE. Finally saw some horns tonight, had a small 6-8 point cruise thru at 6:12 at the corner of the standing corn on my downwind side. He never boogered so that was good. Didn't see anything else but had a good hunt.

Pulled a card from the cam that's 30 yards from this stand and it at 12 videos. Had 4 different small bucks on their feet with 3 of them cruising thru anywhere from 11 am to 2:30 pm and before dark. Got one huge yote and small flock of Turks.

I'll update stats tomorrow.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just found out at precisely 8:15 this evening that one of the 4 3.5 year olds got killed Saturday night. Congrats to the hunter!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just climbed up a few minutes ago. Drizzling, misting, cold and breezy out of the NW this morning. Saw 6-7 deer feeding along a picked cornfield on the way here. Didn't jump anything on my way in. Good luck everyone!