Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelysheddeds 2015-16 hunting journal

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good deal Ric! glad Karissa got to see one.

He walked right through that gap (where u climbed the tree to pull it down so I could cut that limb)from right to left then down into the ravine then back towards the stand then out that shooting lane where I killed the Halloween buck. It was cool hearing her whisper, "He gave me a couple easy shots, that was cool!"

Made my day...:smiley_coolpeace:

Gordo

Athens County
Awesome. Has to feel great sitting in a set with your daughter. Stay after it. You know its only a matter of time before a nice one strolls through. Thats just how you roll buddy!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had a good day hunting today. Hunted for 11 straight hours today with Karissa climbing up to sit with me with her xbow at 3:30 till 6:45. I was locked and loaded with my bow at 7:30 this morning and saw mostly squirrels the first couple hours. I did see a sparrow hawk fly through twice in that span looking for some prey but did nothing but cause a stir. Saw my first deer at 9:07, a doe and BB came thru at 25 yards then filtered on through.

Then at 9:35 I had a 5 pt come into the mock scrape and lick the branch then leave.

Watched about 12-14 squirrels all day long but eventually caught movement around 1:20 of a buck I named Hook and he cruised on through. About 5 minutes later I caught more movement and saw another buck walking parallel to the same path and direction that Hook took but 10 yards further out to 35 yards. He walked on through as well as they were out looking for some action.

Things settled down so I texted Karissa that the coast was clear so she could come along and join me! So she snuck on in and shimmied on up into the tree with me and I switched stands and hung my bow up and grabbed my camera.

We hadn't no sooner than got settled in and as I'm buckling my safety harness up I see a buck working his way towards us down below in the lower cornfield edge. It wasn't 5 minutes and he was nearly right under us with me running the video camera. It turned out to be Hook again and now it was about 3:45. He got nervous after looking up at us and skirted our tree about 20 yards out but stopped right smack dab in the middle of a shooting lane with Karissa and him locked into a stare down. I got pretty nice footage of the two locking eyeballs with each other but he eventually gave up and just walked way.

I got excellent footage of all the buck encounters today and plan on taking Karissa back out again in the morning till noon. I'll edit our journals later cuz in beat!

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This update just includes the solo time I had on Friday, Oct 30th from 7:45-3:45 when Karissa hopped up in to hunt while I filmed. The details are in my last post.

My solo hunting journal

Deer Sightings 8
Buck Sightings 4
Doe's and other deer Sightings 1
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 0
Deer encounter but no visual 2
Spooked or busted encounters 2

Hours hunting 17.5
Number of sits 6

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Details are in the above post with my solo hunt.

Karissa and me

Deer Sightings 3
Buck Sightings 1
Doe's and other deer Sightings 2
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 0

Hours hunting 13
Number of sits 6

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, I hunted as long as I could before heading for home to get ready for a Halloween party Saturday night but I still had an enjoyable hunt up until some ass wipe rode his quad in on my flushing the 4 pt buck and 3 hen turkeys I had within 35 yards of me. This fella that lives up the road figured that truck parked just off the road don't mean nothing so he figured he'd drive his quad down into the crick to collect some big creek rocks for some reason. He was about 80 yards away but hearing the sounds of clacking echoing down in the creek bottom sent all the critters around me on down the finger I was set up in. He came boring on to the scene at 12:05 and fiddled around abound 15 minutes before leaving. Ugh, some people! Anyways....

.....I got to my stand just before shooting light and was locked and loaded at 7:50. As I was finishing up with my safety harness I looked down into the bottom and see a big dark figure quietly making his way down the creek bottom that I just walked up a few minutes before. He was about 45 yards out(10 yards further but parallel with my camera and mock scrape and also downwind but as always with those SSE winds at this set my scent stream must have carried over him cuz he had no inkling I was there. I just had time to glass him and he looked to be a very nice tall 8. He had nice mass and spread and the 2's and 3's looked 8-10ish but didn't see his brows as it's was still hard to see down into the bottom. I thought about trying to call him back but thought there was a decent chance he might come back as he was headed toward the road and my truck but he must have moved on.
I didn't see another deer till 11:55 when I caught movement of a small buck browsing his way towards me up on the bank along the creek bottom. I turned my cam corder on and video'd him as he eventually walked under me then on out the finger and started feeding on acorns with a few hen turkeys till ole "ass wipe" blew them outta there.

Figured that was the best time to make my exit so before doing so I headed over to a camera I had in another finger about 150 yards away and pulled it and stuck it over a nice scrape I found along a scrape line. It was a nice freshly pawed up scrape in a secluded spot at the other end of the doe bedding area I'm hunting. I also moved the cam over my mocked scrape and put it over the trail the nice buck that walked through took. My camera had been seeing a lot of buck movement 30 yards out from the scrape I made so I was moving it over there regardless. I did get some nice videos of bucks hitting and working my scrape pretty good but they were mostly smaller bucks. I hope the rut produces images of bigger and more mature bucks coming through there this week. I won't check the camera till Friday when my vacation finally gets here!!! WHOOHOO!!!!

This week will drag slow for me no doubt! Good luck to everyone who's able to get out and hunt this week!!! Lots of nice ones will die this week!

My solo hunting journal

Deer Sightings 2
Buck Sightings 6
Doe's and other deer Sightings 1
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 3
Deer encounter but no visual 2
Spooked or busted encounters 2

Hours hunting 22.75
Number of sits 7

Last edited: