Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

finelyshedded's hunting log

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went out this morning for the first time to the stand in the last pics. I unfortunately boogered deer on my entry less than 50 yards from my treestand. They either blew out of there and across the creek or off to bed till midday. I hunted till 10:05 and it was the first time I've been skunked this year. Saw turks,coopers hawk and a boat load of tree rats. Beautiful morning though.

Total Hours hunting: 19 hours
Total Bucks seen:5 with 2 bb
Total Does seen:8
Total Yotes seen:0
Total shots taken:1

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, I tried hunting on 20 minutes sleep this AM because of the wind direction being perfect for my N to NE or NW wind. Got in before light and got busted again!WTF These two stands that I've been hunting lately appear to be better PM stands because of the fact the fuggin' deer are always near or around my stands at first light. I love hunting the am's but I can't be getting busted like I have the last two morning outings. I didn't get skunked though, as I saw a bb later, coming back looking around for me...FUGGAR! He looked as though he might have been the one or past of the group I stirred up this morning. He came to within 25 yards of me while I still hunted on the way out. Other than that, didn't see much.

Total Hours hunting: 20.5 hours
Total Bucks seen:5 with 3 bb
Total Does seen:8

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a great evening tonight for seen and having shot ops at deer. At 5:13pm this afternoon I saw 2 big does pop out into the beanfield where those 2 small bucks came out last weekend. They browsed around and headed down into a brushy draw across from me. At 5:49 I saw a small BB pop out of the same draw a fed towards me to about 40 yards then headed back away from me to a small dip in the beans and dropped down for about an hour. He was bedded aprrox. 60 yards from me. Then at 6:15 those same two big does came out into the same field and browsed without knowing the lil BB was still bedded. I even had trouble finding him in my binos a few times but eventually he popped back up and got their attention. Then at 6:30 I saw 4 more antlerless deer coming toward me along the beanfield and they eventually milled right past me with bow in hand at a distance of 18 yards. I contemplated on shooting the biggest doe but didn't feel like messing with her tonight due to spending quality family time with my wife since she's been at hospice most of the day seeing her mom. Then at 7;05 I saw a 2.5 year old 8 point off to my left in the corner of the same beanfield watching the group of 4 deer that just came thru. I slipped out qiuetly at 7:15 and didn't jump a deer on my way out. It was a beautiful night to be hangin' 22. Hope you y'all had a great hunt as well.

Total Hours hunting: 22.5 hours
Total Bucks seen:6 with 4 bb
Total Does seen:814

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Put up another set today around 1:00. Didn't booger anything that I know of. Found 2 active scrapes along same beanfield I'm hunting on the edge of. Afterwards I checked one of my two TC's only to find I had just 2 pics over the past week. FUGG! but the good news is one of the vids is of one of my two target bucks. It was taken at 4:22 am on the 22nd of October. He was by himself so they must have split up now. It's not great footage but I can see the splits on the g-2's and they appear to have gotten broken off some. I'll try to post the vid later.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Sorry for the short vid and poor visual content but the bastard ain't being to photogenic right now! lol I just looped it for yuns.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got the ok to use 2 hours of vacation this evening so's I can get in my N wind stand tonight! Might be a waste of time if either target buck doesn't come thru but if I were at work I'd be going nuts wondering if tonight was the night. We don't get many N winds so I better take them when I'm dealt them. If I am fortunate enough to score this evening I'll just have to call my supervisor and tell him I'll be a little later. lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, I had a great hunt but neither target buck was a show! Conditions were perfect TOO! I had a bb show up at first(4:45) and made a beeline to the acorns off to my left(west) and straight in front of me(north) as close as 10 yards. Then at 5:04 I had a doe step out at 35 yards and meander back the way she came. Then at 5:40 I saw two big does crossing up the hollar at 70 yards heading toward the beanfield. It was a good evening to be out with perfect wind,overcast and got in/out undetected. I was setup at 3:45 and slipped out alittle early at 6:45 cuz I had to get ready for work! Fugg! I hope everyone else had a good hunt as well.

Total Hours hunting: 25.5 hours
Total Bucks seen:6 with 5 bb
Total Does seen:17

Here was my view tonight:

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Got skunked for the second time this evening. Wind was great early on but started to shift from NNE to E which isn't bad but an E wind mixed in with the thermals toward sunset isn't favorable. I took a pic of the small hollar the two target bucks came down nearly a whole month ago. The pic is facing due NE.

I texted a few TOOzers this afternoon early in my hunt which helped time fly by.

Gonna hunt a different set tomorrow AM and decide based on the wind direction...............dang I need a smoker! I'll burns some hardwood brush tomorrow afternoon and smoke up thata way. Goodluck tomorrow fellow TOOzers!

Total Hours hunting: 28.75 hours
Total Bucks seen:6 with 5 bb
Total Does seen:17

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I appreciated the text Ric! Too bad I had to get some work done. Would have been nice to stay in the stand beyond 1030 this morning for me.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Yeah, thanks for the text also! I sat this morning until 11, and was suprised I didn't see anything. I figure this evening was probably pretty brutal as well. Did you get rained on at all?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah, thanks for the text also! I sat this morning until 11, and was suprised I didn't see anything. I figure this evening was probably pretty brutal as well. Did you get rained on at all?
No, nothing substantial. Heading back out in a few minutes! This will be my third morning hunt I believe. Can't wait! I'll keep youn's updated!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck Ric! Just keep your focus on the basics whenever you get a shot. Don't be a "Phil" when the moment comes and forget your fundamentals like I did yesterday. lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
First, this is the time to rattle and rattle aggressively! I did this morning and brought 4 bucks in within 20 to 25 minutes. One of the bucks was one of my target bucks TOO. I hit the horns together at 8:13 and they all came in on the downwind side but couldn't get straight downwind of me because of the steep creek bank I was on. I put it there for that very reason!lol Anyway, start rattling, soft then tear it up a half hour later if nothing comes in the first time.

I got in at 7:15 amd got out at 12:15. Saw 3 does and 5 bucks with one being one of my two target bucks. I decided last night to finally put a name on the both of them. The one I missed will be called,"Bonehead" and the one I had in at 28 yards this morning will be named, "Splits". The wind was perfect this morning and never got winded or boogered any of the deer I encountered this morning due to MY scent or location. The big boy just got a whif of some Buck Bomb deer scent I sprayed out in front of me on the upwind side of my position and didn't like it like the first 2 small bucks did a few minutes before him. I'm done with ALL deer scents from here on out. This definitely made my decision easier. I haven't used any scent for a long time and saw this shit on sale and thought, "What the heck, I'll try it"! I'm back to NO SCENT is the BEST SCENT attitude. I'm going back out in a little while and hit the same stand possibly. I think Splits is still around and might be stirring later on this afternoon to evening. Sooooo Close! Dang! Goodluck everyone! I'll post some pics of this new set sometime in the near future.

Total Hours hunting: 33.75hours
Total Bucks seen:11 bucks not counting 5 bb's
Total Does seen:20

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here is a pic of beanfield with heavy frost this morning just after 8:00 this morning.

This is a farm implement path at the head of this finger the buck named, Splits slipped into. Two small 4 pointers walked from right to left giving me all kinds of good shot ops.

Had a nice doe and little one down below me after I rattled and they split going to the right(the same way they came from) when they saw the two small bucks walking behind me up the path.

Here is where the buck named Splits came walking in from behind me. He walked up to the left and crossed the path well within bow range but just no shots.

Here is a pic of a small buck across the beanfield at 11:15 this morning just brousing on greenbriar and beans. He's centered and at the far field edge.