Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frozen Beaver

Nice meeting everyone, I've been trapping Beaver a lot of years, but there's one spot we always have issues when there is ice. Prob be a good idea to pre scouta little more. Thanks

I've seen an obvious hole thru ice by the dam, before it got brutal cold and froze over. I think last week was so cold, they just went to feed bed. I chiseled by the house but no luck yet. The warm weather should change things for better, besides getting carpal tunnel, and spooking them, maybe luck will change

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with trapping but these guys will point you in the right direction.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Cut your hole and cover it back up with pine boughs or something like that to keep the ice from freezing back solid? Just need something to cover the hole that will provide a little insulation to the cold air.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Cut your hole and cover it back up with pine boughs or something like that to keep the ice from freezing back solid? Just need something to cover the hole that will provide a little insulation to the cold air.

That is what I have seen them do on Life Below Zero in Alaska.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

That is what I have seen them do on Life Below Zero in Alaska.

Seen Tom out in Montana do this as well on Mountain Men. If it will work out there and up north where it gets -20 to -70 it should work just about anywhere.