Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gas vs. Oil heat...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looking at homes in Ohio, I have not come across one home with an oil burner furnace... Anyone here have an oil burner furnace?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Looking at homes in Ohio, I have not come across one home with an oil burner furnace... Anyone here have an oil burner furnace?
My buddy heats his small house with oil. I'll ask what it costs him a year, but prices do vary which I'm sure you know.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
$490 is what it's cost my buddy to heat his house this year, but his place can't be more than 750 square foot. It's a small bungalow in the river.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Square footage/insulation is the biggest factor in any heat.
IMHO oil prices fluctuate more then natural gas.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Poor Chad.... LOL. But all joking aside not one house I've checked out had oIL heat.. And what about these homes that have their own gas.. I mean how's that work? I'm sure there's no pipe comming out of the ground.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A lot of properties have gas wells on them and part of the contract are free gas up too a point. Doesn’t always work out as planned but others may have better insight then I.

Fletch

Supporting Member
J My luck my well would go dry on a cold night... Guess some have a spare propane tank..

J My luck my well would go dry on a cold night... Guess some have a spare propane tank..

It depends on how it is setup. Some places are on their own well. If you have an issue then it is your problem. Other places have a well on them that is hooked into the distribution system. The house usually has a meter in this situation, but the gas is free. Like J said though some have a limit on the amount of free gas.

I have oil at my house as gas wasn't an option. If I had my choice though I would prefer gas. No needing to get the tank refilled. Although at my place I put in a 1000 gallon oil tank so that I only have to fill it every 2-3 years.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
If there is any possible way to get natural gas thats the way to go. There is always the option of L.P. if you don't like oil.

I personally wouldn't have oil these days. The great government has made it so the the efficiencies of these units have to meet certain standards. To meet these standards the tolerances on these units are so tight that your newer furnace can have all kinds of combustion problems due to factors outside of the furnace (most of the time is the old chimney wont draft enough). So you are constantly sooting up. Not to mention 9 times out of 10 I can walk into a house that has oil and convert them over to propane for $1,000 less than I can just replacing the oil, and the highest efficiency you'll get with oil is 80% on your best days.

Also with oil you are ALWAYS subject to the market. With L.P. there are ways to play the market with the right gas suppliers.

Sorry for I wasn't around to help answer sooner, been busier than all get out with life. If you got any other questions I'll be more than happy to help out.

Reactions: Jackalope