Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Going through the ice, in Lake Erie

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Story I heard was 2 guys in monroe, mi got set adrift on a ice flow . Got plucked by the coast guard but they only rescue people, not gear so their ATV got left . Didn't hear of any issues in Ohio .

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Ya same lake tho. could happen anywhere. One year there was over 35 people afloat on lake erie. Only guys that got off the float without help from coast guard were the ones with enough balls to ride there sled across the water to the safe ice towards the shore.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I guess if they are stupid enough to drive out to test the ice they should be smart enough to loose the trucks. Stupid is and stupid does. Especially the 2nd one to drive out to help a stuck truck. Dah

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Its funny that when the big flows break away and leave the snowmobiles and atv's on the ice that the next morning they are all gone. Amazing what a 18 foot flat bottom boat drug across to the crack can get you. Never done it but have heard about it. Once they are on the lake they are salvage material.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Its funny that when the big flows break away and leave the snowmobiles and atv's on the ice that the next morning they are all gone. Amazing what a 18 foot flat bottom boat drug across to the crack can get you. Never done it but have heard about it. Once they are on the lake they are salvage material.
There are plenty of airboat owners that "rescue" quads and sleds, for a fee of course. I'd say more often than not people get their gear back.

The guys who drove the trucks in... Yes, idiots. But drifting away on a slab of ice doesn't necessarily make you stupid. People jump out of perfectly good airplanes every day. There are a lot of things in this world that one can do that are more idiotic than walking out on some ice. Life's a garden people.... Dig it. Don't be scared of a little ice.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah the though of going for a ride on a flow never stopped us from going lol but we got lucky in 09 when that big flow broke off of crane creek. We went out the day before and slammed em so didn't go the next and thats when it broke. Thats whats great about the harbor is no worrys about drifting out. I think your in more danger driving to and from the lake than you are when your on the ice itself!!!