Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good Day Out with Sam

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sam and I hit the bunny woods at his place today.... Cold morning and was down one dog due too a sore foot... Had the pup with us and she didn't run them very good today... We saw around 5 all together and she ran them about half way around... Couple of them went to the holes but the others out smarted her lol... Penny the one with the sore foot is definetly the anchor of the two lol.... Had a good time and never pulled a trigger between us... Although there were several opportunities.... Figuired we let the pup run them some more.... Sam's got some nice rabbit hedge rows and there were plenty of sign.... Hopefully the next time will have two beagles and a little warmer lol.... Thanks again Sam for the use of you property.... and as always an enjoyable visit with you..... Sorry Dan no pictures this time lol...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I enjoyed it too "J"!

Kate ran a couple of them about perfect. Some of the others I think the yotes and fox have trained them to head for the holes ASAP lol Probably did Kate good to work some by herself, she's a nice dog.

The one sat in front of me, I could of shot it with a .22 pistol, just didn't feel like shooting it with the shotgun. I was happy not to have to clean a bunny when we were done. Dang I'm gettin lazy in my old age lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Next time both dogs and we'll hit your place and the over too Ruthrouff's... I stopped by the home front on the way to drop the dog off to look at the Daughter's car... No issues there so she could go to work... Heading to drop Kate off and couldn't go by Ruthrouffs without stopping lol... Had 1 good run with two short ones and while she was running the one I saw 3 others running around lol..... Made it to my buddies place at 5:00 and home by 5:30 lol... It was a good day...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Looked like you had just enough snow when I drove through on Sunday. I thought it looked like a good day and I was sorry I had not made time to kick a few brush piles yet this year. Some of my earliest hunts as a boy were bunny hunting with gramp. I can remember even after he no longer had beagles (always 2) when we would jump one he would make us stay "right here" and off he would go, tracking it and barking like his old begal... many times it worked and he would push that rabbit almost right back to where we had jumped it...

Even as I sit here now, I smile at his memory. I miss him.

Glad you TOO had a good day afield

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jim, most of my best memories of hunting trips have been behind beagles..... My neighbor growing up got me started and that fire still burns today... I'll always remember Dutch taking us along for the rabbit hunts.... He took 3 boys out just about evertime he went and I respect him a lot for what he did for us.....