Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Google GPS Tracking.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Many of us have used google maps on our phones, we probably have other google items installed also. Many of you probably knew that google tracks this usage. But i'm willing to bet that most don't know that even when you're not using the apps, or maps google is still tracking and recording your every move.

For example i ran some errands Saturday like most of us did. Google recorded what time i left my house, how far I drove and how long it took to get there, where i went, how long i was there, and even how far i walked.

You can view all of your data at www.google.com/maps/timeline

Here is an example of where it tracked me from home to work and back home again. Expanding the data will show when i left home, where i went, when i got there, and how long i was there, then when i returned home.

20180319_201259.png

The data isnt public and you need to log in to your google account to see it. So why is this important you might ask.
Well https://www.fastcompany.com/4054611...de-user-data-for-all-people-near-crime-scenes

Want to turn your off? Here is googles recommendation.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3118687?hl=en

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Doesn't matter if its been turned off.

Correct. There is a difference between "Location History" like above, and "Location reporting". You can turn off location history and delete all of the data but that does not stop location reporting. The only way to turn that off is to "turn off" the GPS on your phone. I put that in quotes because federal law requires that even when you "turn off" GPS it is still active for emergency services. And come on it's google, I'm sure they've figured out how to piggyback that service.

And even if your GPS is off but your wifi is on things like wifi routers and hotspots can still track you. For example there is a system that stores can install, it has a multitude of sensors all over the store that broadcast themselves as wifi hotspots. As you walk around the store your phone is constantly discovering new hotspots and being logged. The retailer can use this data to create a heat map of customer traffic in their store. For example a grocery store can see that the majority of people walk the edge of the store and only hit a few isles. They can see that Isle 9 hardly get's any traffic, so what they may do is move an item from an active isle to isle 9 in order to increase traffic on isle 9 and thus impulse purchase of goods in that isle. This will also let them know where they should setup displays for impulse purchase items like coolers right before spring break. So the next time you question why Ghram crackers are not with all the other variations of crackers but instead over in a different isle with the cookies, they want the kid you're obviously shopping for to see all the cookies and beg you for them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Moral of the story...don’t go where you shouldn’t be and don’t do anything you shouldn’t do lol

And don’t give them something too look at you for.... But, always ditch your phone when on the run.... Or so I’ve heard or maybe read somewhere..... [emoji56]