Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ground Hawg Max

tpierce

Wife and I just bought some property with a nice cabin in Adams county. It's heavily wooded. I would love to put in a couple of small food plots. I have a Honda Pioneer 700. I'm thinking about using a ground hawg max disc to turn the soil. The plots will be small- maybe 1/4 to 1/2 acre. Anybody ever used one? Opinions? There is no way to get a tractor back in theses places- toooo hilly.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No experience but anything is better than nothing. More than likely take several passes. Spray the grass and weeds down dead will help.

Big H

Medina
I have one and it works great for small plots. If the soil is wet, it will clog up a bit, with dry soil, it tears up the ground very well.

tpierce

Sounds good. I think I'll get one. I'm waiting for the surveyor to mark the property boundaries before I start in on food plots or trails. I do have some mineral blocks out and been getting a lot of does on cameras, but still no bucks. I figure if there's does around eventually the bucks will be there. It's a damned rugged area with a creek at the bottom, and bordered by corn and bean fields. Our property is all timber, with 1 bedding area I've identified.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I looked into getting one as well earlier this year. I had to pass due to how my hitch is attached. My hitch is directly attached to the rear differential and the amount of strain put on the hitch would have done some damage over time. To ensure I was making the right choice I called their CS line and the gentlemen was really helpful. He too agreed that my 2016 can am would have issues with this tiller. If I recall correctly, he mentioned that Hondas are typically fine with how there hitches are mounted. Might be worth the call to double check.

tpierce

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that. I've also considered getting a used rear tiller like a Troybuilt or Cub Cadet. I could build ramp to get in and out of the bed of the Honda. I've seen several on CL for 300.00 more than the groundhawg.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that. I've also considered getting a used rear tiller like a Troybuilt or Cub Cadet. I could build ramp to get in and out of the bed of the Honda. I've seen several on CL for 300.00 more than the groundhawg.
I have a cub cadet RT 65 rear tine, I use it for small plots. Doing plots in the woods is rough on a rototiller. I'd stick with the groundhog.

tpierce

I have a cub cadet RT 65 rear tine, I use it for small plots. Doing plots in the woods is rough on a rototiller. I'd stick with the groundhog.

Yeah you're right, it would be tough on a tiller. It's rocky too. I'll try the Groundhawg first. I figure I can add some weight to the bed to help keep it in ground.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yeah you're right, it would be tough on a tiller. It's rocky too. I'll try the Groundhawg first. I figure I can add some weight to the bed to help keep it in ground.
Not to mention all the roots you would encounter with a tiller, then the time spent to unwrap them from the tines.

jlane

dunn nc
i have one and love it.
make sure you spray to kill vegatation about two week before.
It will completely tear the ground up.
just remember it only cuts about 4'' deep , The faster you go the better it does.
I think it cuts about 28 inches wide