Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help with broadleaf intrusion...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know mowing is the preferred control mechanism for managing broadleaf weeds, but I have some real invasive types in my big plot (one resembles something from the thistle family, the others are curly dock and spruge) and mowing is a bit of an issue on this plot. I've applied Clethodim for the grass situation and am wondering about applying 2,4-DB (butyrac) this spring to try and curb the intrusion. This is a clover plot with a little bit of chicory, which I'd sacrifice if it meant killing all the over broadleaf weeds.

Anyone successfully combated broadleaf weeds in an established clover plot with herbicides?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I actually have that link saved in my articles folder after finding it last week! You can buy a gallon of 2,4DB through Keystone Pest Solutions: https://www.keystonepestsolutions.c...lon-76?zenid=87975362b4e5ee534c14eca074d1126a

I assume by weed whip (damn northerners :ROFLMAO:) you mean weedeater and I could, but who wants to do that for an acre's worth of food plot?!? I talked to dad about building a new bridge to make it easier and safer to get the small tractor down there to mow and he's agreeable, so that solves my mowing issue. I'm still trying to get a dozer out there to open up a good road so I can convince the farmer that does our upper fields, to do the creek bottom field for me. Probably won't happen this year, but it will one of these days!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Weed whip, weed eater, weed whacker hahaha

An acre would be a lot to do, I probably wouldn’t mess with that much.

I think i bought the stuff you put the link to a few years back and have it in the barn. I myself am going back to clovers heavy this year as I’ve taken a few years off.