Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks hunting log

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Made it out this morning. Settled in at 644. Later than I wanted. Hunting the wind and other hunters to my west. Didn't have high hopes. Haven't seen any deer. That is okay. I would rather hunt safe and smart and get skunked than educate the deer. Day is far from over though! Feels good to be in a tree.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Dante. Just had a doe and button come running at me. Thought hard but passed on doe. Not a minute later I had Right Split at 25yds. I thought hard again but passed. He is a beaut in the woods. Just not quite there yet. Gotta roll. Here is another buck.

Just shot him. With my camera. I always knew this was a good spot. Lol:D

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Can't add pics while editing from my phone. Here is the forky I took pics of. uploadfromtaptalk1349009295696.jpguploadfromtaptalk1349009316104.jpg

Yep. Could have spit on him, the doe and button. Right split was at 25yds and the basket 8 was 20yds.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
uploadfromtaptalk1349010920358.jpg041.jpg037.jpg035.jpg

Just for a recap, here is Right Split Brow buck I passed on today. I may later regret it, but I don't think so. He is around number 5-6 on the hit list. I have never started a season with so many options. I feel very fortunate.

Time on stand: 3.75hrs
Deer seen: 5
Bucks: 3
Does: 1
Button bucks: 1
Deer per hour: 1.333
Shot opportunities: 5
Shots taken: None. Yep, I may be an idiot. lmao

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
IMO, you made the right choice Phil! He has all kinds of potential, and you do have bigger ones running around out there. Great report and good luck!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great restraint Phil. Nice buck no doubt but the season was only 2 days old and like Greg said, you have some nicer bucks running around up there. Goodluck and thanks for sharing your hunt.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. Is it the hunt? Or is it the kill? In the end, I know I had placed myself in the right location, had a 25yd broadside shot available, and enjoyed the moment. Never spooked a deer on the way in or out, and had 5 deer upwind of my location without a clue in the world. It simply doesn't get "much" better than this. If that was the Bent Brow buck or Double Split then I would have been loosing an arrow. Bow was in hand, and release was clipped. It was tough. He looked super moving through the woods. I don't see him getting a pass next year. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Told you you'd want to pass on him in the tree Phil. Especially this early in the season...

But I didn't WANT TO pass. lmao
I simply did pass because I know there are several better in there. He was really tempting. Looked great. Frontal view of the brow tines and shape of the rack is awesome. Probably only 12-14" wide though. Side view was not TOO shabby either. Rear view was great.

Good news: Looks like we might have a front moving in. Just realized my wife doesn't work until later in the week. I might be able to slide into one of the stands I feel I have a better chance of seeing a shooter. I am off to work on September invoices, shoot the bow, and start my week!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All nestled in. Bumped no deer getting in. Farmer picking corn about 1/2 mile southeast of me. Ate my apples. Listening to acorns fall. All smoked up and waiting. Not sure about the full moon and easterly winds but rain is on its way the next couple days. Hoping that gets them on their feet early.

Buckmaster

Portage
Anytime you need to think about shooting a deer you probably shouldn't. It should be more instinctive. Good move Phil. Your buck tag remains intact.